I work 2 full time jobs and I am a single parent, what can i do to make sure that my son still feels special when i am away?

I work a lot. Well I have to. I got a call from my sons father who said that he got fired from his job. When my son and I drove by his fathers then ex-job he said, "there is my daddy's work" and I told him that daddy would not be there anymore. He said without questions, "what did he do, get fired again?" It is like he is used to you know. My son is in kindergarten from 7-3 and then daycare until I get off from my second job. I don't get a day off, I work 7 days a week and get 4 hours a sleep at night.

jll1484

Asked by jll1484 at 11:54 AM on Oct. 7, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If he knows he's special when you ARE with him, he'll know it when you're not.
    AnitaVersion2.0

Answer by AnitaVersion2.0 at 12:20 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Can he read? Leave him a note somewhere will he plays and will find it. Just something simple...like I love you...love mom! I write my son notes and stick them in his binder and he comes home and says mommy I found your note. Or I leave one in his legos, he thinks thats great. I have even gone to the extent to mail him stuff to my own house just so he can check the mail and get something in it. He thinks thats great too. But honestly, they know we love them...and from what it sounds like he knows he's a special little guy. The little things really matter to them. I have found, stuff that doesn't seem that big of a deal to me is a HUGE deal to him and ends up making him feel so special. Have fun raising your son. And kudos to you for doing it by yourself. :)
    raybell

Answer by raybell at 3:28 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Take a part of your day even if its in the car and talk on his day, friends, grab a burger and sit outside with him. He knows you love him and how hard you work. Just find a little time and make sure you can keep it. It will special for both of you.
    beachbummama1

Answer by beachbummama1 at 8:38 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Writing simple, loving notes 2 ea other is a great idea!!! Also, u might find a picture of u that he can keep w/ him 2 reassure him that ur never far away.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 11:42 PM on Oct. 7, 2008