Any suggestions on how to brush their first few teeth?

Jake's 12 months old and just eats the toothbrush each time! LOL

babyjakesmama

Asked by babyjakesmama at 11:56 AM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Health

• I was "brushing" my sons' gums with a warm, damp washcloth twice a day from the day they were born, then moved up to the little finger brush when they began teething (my oldest got his first four teeth when he was four months old!), and as soon as they had teeth we switched to the smallest toothbrushes (and by the time they were 2 we were using floss as well). I think as long as you stay consistent and make a routine out of it your son will get the idea. Don't laugh at his antics because that will reinforce the "eating" of the toothbrush...make a big deal about the brushing motion. He'll understand in time.
    MrsGurt

Answer by MrsGurt at 12:12 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• My 20 month old still just chews his tooth brush. However he will from time to time let me brush his teeth if I let him brush mine. I think my daughter was 2 1/2 to 3 before she really let me brush them. She's almost 8 now and I still help her brush her teeth if they need help after she does it her self.
    sonnys.mom

Answer by sonnys.mom at 1:41 AM on Oct. 19, 2008