How can I get my son to behave in school?

My son is 6 and in the first grade. He has only had 2 days of school so far, but the teacher said that he talks during the lesson and she has to ask him more than once to do things. I have tried talking to him, taking away toys, and standing in the corner. I really dont know what else to try. Any suggestions??

koyanddagansmom

Asked by koyanddagansmom at 9:29 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in

• Communicate with the teacher for creative ways to get him to behave. Incentives, charts, rewards... Boys are NOT all the same and many of them just have a hard time sitting still and staying quiet all day. Does not mean he has ADD/ADHD. My son is active and very social and we have been lucky to have some teachers that have a clue how to deal with kids with different personalities and learning styles. I have found that just being open and communicating a LOT with teachers is the best way to go.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:33 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• honestly I think maybe the teacher needs more patience with him. School is just not a natural environment for children imo, especially boys who have lots of energy.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 9:32 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• if your a SAHM or can take a day off, go sit with him in class an entire school day. You can monitor his behavior and he'll be embarrassed that your the only parent there so he wont want that to happen again.
    pinkebabii

Answer by pinkebabii at 9:31 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• have you ever had his eyes checked?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:33 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Precious--I was thinking that also, but I thought maybe it was because I was his mom. I was just thinking that if her only complaint was that she has to ask him more than once to do something it is not so bad!
    koyanddagansmom

Comment by koyanddagansmom (original poster) at 9:34 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Yes we have had his eyes checked and the dr said they were fine.
    koyanddagansmom

Comment by koyanddagansmom (original poster) at 9:35 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I would simply ask the teacher to institute consequences at school....miss some of recess, etc. We have consequences at home for misbehavior at home, but you said that wasn't working.
    semazani

Answer by semazani at 9:37 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Do you or your husband have ADHD tenancies?  Our 4 yr old has changed this year. Acting a lot like how hub's parents described him as a kid.  I have tried "disaplining" it out of him and its just now working.  Doc thinks he's starting to show ADHD signs.  I have always felt ADHD meds were overprescribed and didn't want think that my kid was dealing with this.  we are working on some behavior modification to help him transition from one activity to another, and also work with him to help stretch is attention span.  We are also actively working on literally "running him out" before we put him in a situaion where he needs to focus/sit still.  My husband takes him out for jog before preschool, going to an appointment, even dinner at a family members house.  That has probably been the most effective.  Even with all of this, she told me that we are going to have see what happens when he gets to kindergarten/1st grade
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 9:40 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• He has been in school only 2 days and it is not anything like he had last year, give him a few weeks to get used to it. He can't be the only kid doing it and if after a few weeks things are the same then talk with the teacher and see what you guys can work out.
    nebcutie

Answer by nebcutie at 9:57 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• give him a chance he needs to adjust hes only been there for 2 days
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:41 AM on Aug. 16, 2010