My friends baby...

Is about three weeks younger than my son who just turned 9 months. My son crawls, sits, eats with his hands, plays with his toys, takes naps, and lets people know when he needs something. I know babies develop at different speeds, but her daughter cant sit by herself, she barely eats, and her movement seems to be really delayed. She doesn't really play with toys either.

Can something like that be caused by how the mother is with the child? For example how much time they spend with their child, how they interact with them, how they feed them etc.

xmama_bellax

Asked by xmama_bellax at 9:36 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I really can't answer this for you because I dont know the mom, and you gave no detail to how you see her interacting with her son. But just from what you said, it sounds like he could be developmentally delayed, or his mom spends no time with him, I just don't know.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 9:38 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• your are right every baby develops at there own pace .however she may have something wrong with her do they take her to the pedi for her check ups ???and it could very well be lack of interaction as well
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 9:39 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I know my cousin's baby was a really late crawler because she never put him down. She would hold him all the time. I think it can delay some developmental milestones depending on the mother.
    koyanddagansmom

Answer by koyanddagansmom at 9:40 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• My neice was very behind, she is 15 months she can walk but cant say one word. cant feed herself, cant even hold her bottle and her pedi think she has mental problems.
    pinkebabii

Answer by pinkebabii at 9:41 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• It can be a developmental delay. as long as you know your friend is not mistreating or ignoring the child then this is what would be safe to assume. Make sure she makes it to the next baby checkup and they should be able to offer the mother some insight as to how normal this is and what more she can do to help the child's development.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 9:41 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• she might be slow at first but but also pick up later have you talk to her mother or talk to a doc
    .my son jeff was slow at first but because he was a preemie he was year behind kids his age and she is a preemie she would have the same out come
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 9:48 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Delays (developmental) such as skipping crawling and going straight to walking cause delays throughout childhood. You CAN fix most, (have the child learn to crawl), and are caused by many things.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 9:51 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• yep
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:10 AM on Aug. 16, 2010