When someone thanks God or Jesus after they win

does that mean Jesus wanted the other team or nominees to lose? Or on reality shows like Amazing Race, there have been teams, or the family from the family season, who would pray for Jesus to help them win before every leg of the competition. Isn't that the same as praying for Jesus to make everyone else lose, or suggesting Jesus likes them better?

(s/o of a question in R&B I didn't want to hijack: http://www.cafemom.com/answers/487399/Why_is_prayer_powerful_when_it_works_in_your_favor_but_free_will_is_the_culprit_when_bad_things_happ)

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 9:55 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I guess so! Or maybe the other team didn't pray hard enough right!? LOL
    As if God/Jesus cares about the outcome of a game! However,I wouldn't rule out that maybe He had money on the winning team and helped out a little bit! ROFLMAO!
    I was just discussing this very question this evening with my husband.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:58 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I think Jesus just flips a coin.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:59 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• No, I think it is just an expression people say with out really even thinking about what they are saying. Other people however possibly mean it in a religious mannor.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 10:00 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• ugg i hate when ppl do that. im a huge sports fan, but come on...like God really gives a crap who wins some stupid game.

the only time i think its appropriate to pray before a game or competition is if youre praying that no one gets hurt and that everyone has fun...otherwise its just a selfish prayer. honestly, i think its done more out of tradition than actually thinking about what you're asking.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:04 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I've thought about this before. I've never prayed to beat anyone. I've only prayed that I'll be able to do my best and that everyone will be safe.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:04 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I'm sure some Christians will pray for their own victory, and to me that is selfish. I can really only speak for myself... I never really thought about it until high school, when I was a cheerleader. We'd pray with the football team, lead by one of the coaches before every game. The coach didn't pray for victory tho. He prayed that both teams would play to the best of their abilities and for the safety of both teams during the game. To me that was the right way to go...it wasn't asking for anyone to win or lose, simply to bless the game :)
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 10:04 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• They are allowed to be happy and to express happiness by a kind of prayer. Just as they might pray when they are sad or frightened, they are remembering to be thankful when something good happens.

Answer by Bmat at 10:07 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Neither...I don't believe that is the purpose of prayer.
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 10:45 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I've wondered that question myself--and I've also wondered about praying before the big game. Maybe the team isn't confident if its skill and is looking for divine intervention?

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:47 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Something tells me, IF there is someone up there pulling the strings on such mundane things, they are as fickle as the rest of us... Just like we are all rooting for our favorites, so is he...

**Disclaimer, although I don't think I really need to say this - I don't believe Jesus is up there, nor do I think there is anyone that really cares about who wins sporting events or other stupid awards or games...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:00 PM on Aug. 15, 2010