Told my family member I'd stay at their home, but now changed my mind...what do I do?

I asked my relative if I could stay with her during a week long visit, and she said yes of course. THEN she tells me that her boyfriend's friend stays there, as well as his father. It just seems like too much to deal with. I have a toddler (my sis has young children as well), but I don't want to feel like I can't just have a nice visit with my sis and her kids without all of the distractions. And I'm already going to feel a little out of sorts (traveling cross country with my toddler, in a new environment, etc), and I'm not sure if these other people will make it even harder. Do you think I'm overreacting, or do you think I should make up an excuse as to why I'm going to stay in a nearby hotel?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Just for Fun

• No excuse needed. She has a house full (or so it sounds). Thank her for her kindness and plan to spend time with her, but stay where you will be comfortable.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:13 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• No excuses just tell her you changed your mine and booked a hotel room ...
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 10:04 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I'd be honest about it, that on second though, considering she already has company, that you think it would be best for you to stay in a hotel. She'll probably protest, (or maybe not), but if she does, tell her that you'll still be able to see plenty of each other.

Answer by Bmat at 10:02 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Stay in the hotel keep your peace and tell her the truth this is a vacation and you need to relax she might appreciate it with everyone in her house.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:02 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I would just tell her you are staying elsewhere. I'm sure she would understand considering she has them there and might be feeling the same way. (overwhelmed) with the company but doesn't know how to deal with it. If it were me I would go else where I am one person who definitely needs her space for my kids sake...

nolaero

Answer by nolaero at 10:06 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I would just tell her that you don't want to add to the chaos at her house and you have decided to stay in a hotel.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 10:30 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Look at it this way. Would you rather have her lie to you about something importaint? Probably not. So the best thing you can do is to just tell her the truth, and book a hotel room.
    kaysha

Answer by kaysha at 11:37 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

I agree with this answer, also I would do the same because there are too many people in that house it seems. Don't know the size of it, but would say that as well..Good luck hon

zbee

Answer by zbee at 8:20 PM on Aug. 17, 2010