Need advice...

Our money ran out early this pay period. Even the gas money got eaten up by bills that just went through the account that I'd forgotten about. Our food stamps didn't get deposited, even though I sent the "missing" check stubs in 3 times. I'm taking them into the office Tuesday and watching them put them into the system. I have several children and food is running low. I know we wont starve, but it just looks scary in the kitchen. We don't get paid again for 5 more days. Dh had to borrow $10 to put in the van's gas tank just to get home from work.Should I just make due with the little that we have even if that means eating rice, potatoes and beans for the rest of the week? Or how do I find out where food banks are. This is so embarrassing. Just for the record, I do have a lot of kids, but we haven't always been on assistance. I birthed my first 6 children without any help and then we moved and dh couldn't get a job like he had.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Food & Drink

• There is nothing wrong with eating Beans and Potatoes for a week. Honestly, there are weeks when our budget is tight and I make some great dishes by cleaning out the Pantry/Fridge/Freezer. I would try to do that before you do anything else. You never know what you might come up with. You can go to this website-http://www.supercook.com/- and enter the ingredients you have and it will give you a meal to make out of it. Best of Luck Mama.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 10:16 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Go ahead and check out food donations. If it bothers you, then when you get back on your feet you can return the favor by donating to them. ((hugs)) and better luck to you.

Answer by Bmat at 10:11 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I would use this time to clean out the fridge, pantry, and freezer. Get creative and eat everything in the house before you go to a food bank. Good Luck!
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 10:13 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Call local churches. They will be able to help.
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 10:11 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Google food banks in your area! Don't be embarassed! You're a mom reaching out for help.
    xoxticiaxox

Answer by xoxticiaxox at 10:12 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• They have these programs to help! I would call a local church or call the food bank and see what you can do. Don't be embarassed to ask for help :-) I'm also on assistance, and at first I was embarassed, but I now feel very lucky that these people are willing to help me! Keep your head up!!
    Trishy7

Answer by Trishy7 at 10:18 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Don't be embarrassed. It sounds like you can make do with what you have, but it won't hurt to go to the food bank if you need to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I would go to a food bank if things got really bad
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 10:14 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• i know how u feel, sometimes u have to rely on the goodwill of others though. do u belong to a church? could u ask anyone near u to help out with a casserole or anything just until u get things back on track? u can always return the favor down the road. feeding your children is more important than being embarrassed so reach out for help if u need it! ((((HUGS))))
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 10:18 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Go to your local WIC office and they can give you a list of the local food banks. As well you might even qualify for WIC if your children are of the right age. That can help with supplimental foods. Your WIC office is located in your local DHS (Department of Health Services) in your town. You can contact them for other assited programs to help your family through troubled times. Don't be embarrassed or ashamed. We've all been in tough situations before and it's important that you're being brave and asking for help.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:25 PM on Aug. 15, 2010