Do you / would you let your kids watch spongebob?

I find spongebob rude and lacking common sense. It says right on it TV-7 and all my kids are under 6 yet the 6 yr old's BM has been letting him watch it since it came out and my 2.6 yr olds BD's gf lets my kid watch it cause she lets her 1 yr old watch it.. I try to instill manners and good behavior in my kids and find spongebob to be a show not helping the concept.

Mrs_Chris_Pukt

Asked by Mrs_Chris_Pukt at 10:11 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• I did at one time, but I feel the show has really gone downhill. I have The Fairy Odd Parents blocked because of the issues you've mentioned.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:13 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• absolutely not! i can't STAND spongebob and i never let my kids watch it. of course when they go to MIL's house they do watch it cause MIL LOVES it @@ she watches alot of cartoons and my SILs (teenagers) watch all the dumb nickelodeon/disney shows that i don't let my kids watch... so i can't keep it from them entirely but it is not allowed at my house. I let my kids watch alot of stuff but Spongebob is NOT one of them :P
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 10:13 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• My grandchildren are not allowed to watch it. I think it is horrid.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:14 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Yes, and I watch it with them. Compared to some of the other cartoons that come on, Spongebob is just mindless nonsense, and I need that sometimes :)

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 10:15 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I wanted to block it, but my husband liked it. They don't watch it much anymore though.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 10:15 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Spongebob has been a HUGE hit in our house since the show first came on, I have no problem letting my children watch it.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 10:16 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I occasionally let them watch it but I am there watching it with them and try to you it as a learning tool. Let them know that that action or saying is not ok. I like it for the laughs, because we (DH and I) like it. I know a majority of the episodes and know exactly which ones are a big NO NO. So yes but with limitations!

nolaero

Answer by nolaero at 10:17 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• It's one of my daughter's favorite shows. She watches it a lot. And she's one of the most respectful, good mannered kids you'd ever meet. I teach her manners and stuff like that, I don't rely on entertainment television shows to do it or raise my kid for me.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:18 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I seriously do not understand this problem people have with Spongebob...
    I see him as loving his job, loyal to his friends and work and jsut wanting to have a little fun *shrug*
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:18 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I let my son watch anything and everything from an early age. In fact, SpongeBob cam out when my son was 3 and he thought it was too immature for him then. I find that if I let my son watch things like that, it opens up the opportunity to discuss how act or not act. I use everything he hears and sees as a learning opportunity. I do not keep him from it and will never censor music or movies or books. That teaches nothing. I live by the motto: "Worldproof your child, do not try to childproof the world." At some point your child will inadvertently be exposed to SpongeBob, so, why shelter him from it just to have him see it elsewhere and have no idea how to react to it and possibly start copying it? If he got to watch it with you while you sat there and said, "That was a bad thing SpongeBob said. He shouldn't say things like that." Then, your child will understand and learn from it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:18 PM on Aug. 15, 2010