How long after you have a child, that you can get Post Partum Depression? adult content

My son is almost 2, and lately I've been so stressed out, that if he head butts, or throws a fit, I get so mad, that I have to get out of the room, screaming. I don't want him learning that type of anger from me or any one else. One of my friends thinks its post partum, but I don't think it is. I don't really know. I'm so afraid of hurting my son. All Day today, he's done nothing but throw fits, and I keep having to put him in his room, or escape to the patio to keep from loosing my cool.

Momma_Neko

Asked by Momma_Neko at 10:31 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Health

• you know, it is possible for moms to just have depression, not just PPD.

but it's also more likely that you've just had some stressful days and need a break.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:39 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Anytime in the first 2 years can be considered PPD. I would go talk to your doctor, it's definitaly not something to play around with. I've been there. ((HUGS)) It will get easier....
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 10:39 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I'm not sure about PPD, but that can be a difficult age in itself, but when mommy is stressed out the kids pick up on that and also become stressed and aggitated. Its ok to step out of the room and give yourself a time out if you feel like your loosing your cool... it will actually help teach them to do the same when they feel out of control. Then when you are calm and collective you can come back and deal with the situation.

Also if you think you are depressed you should get some help, talk to a counselor or your doctor about it. Depression can be very serious!
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 10:41 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I get like this too and Had PPD - I have my days where I can't believe the things I am saying or getting mad about to my son.. my small innocent 2-1/2 year old son... I mean, I get SO mad... like I get scared of myself too like you are saying.. I am on meds and have "normal" depression and anxiety also which I had before but now.. I get ... so much madder than I've ever felt.. I think being a mother and dealing with ALL the extremes of emotions with difficult children ( or at least in my case ) it can really take you to your breaking point and then the most amount of guilt.. I don't know.. I don't have too much advice but I am there with ya... HUGS
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:43 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• it's possible you might harm your son? talk to someone NOW!!! and ask someone close to you to watch him for the weekend...

also, if he constantly throws fits you might need to make sure he's okay too

my husbands cuz has a 5 year old who throws things, screams, hits, and throws the cat.. at first she thought it was just normal but turns out he has odd, autism

so when she feels like she wants to pull her hair out i offer to take him for the weekend...
    FITmama2B

Answer by FITmama2B at 10:52 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• You can get PPD anytime. I think your friend might be onto something. You should seek out a professional to speak with.
    Hugs Momma!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 10:54 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• It is very possible to get depressed at anytime. It doesn't have to be PPD. It sounds like that you are dealing with a lot of stress and maybe some meds will help you feel better. If you are getting this angry, you really need to talk to a Dr. about getting some meds. Talking to a cousnelor may also help. Generally there are other things bothering us when we end up like this.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 11:03 PM on Aug. 15, 2010