baby wont take a bottle...

my 3 month old son exclusively breastfeeds.. i'm going somewhere in a week where I'll have to leave him with a family member (who has a 5 month old girl) for about 4 hours. He eats ever 3... problem: he wont take a binkie or bottle, he screams bloody murder every time i've tried. I've tried it at different moods and different nipples. I'm afraid my SIL will have a horrific time trying to watch him. I plan on still breasfeeding for another 2-3 months. Any suggestions on how I can get the little guy to tolerate a bottle every once in a while?

Ambreelulu

Asked by Ambreelulu at 12:16 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• With you not around, your son will be more likely to take a bottle. Pump some milk so that its still breast milk, but do not worry so much! Your son is not going to take a bottle from you when the boob is right there. But with no alternate solutions when you are not around, I am sure he will be fine with a bottle. And as far as your SIL is concerned, she has a 5 month old!! She knows how it can be, no worries!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:21 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• My daughter did the same thing. He'll get it eventually. I would suggest though that once he does get bottle feeding down well, that you also work in bottles into your daily feeding. I pump almost everything I give my 5 month old now and nurse almost exclusively at night. She's still getting the goodness from the breastmilk, and she's using a bottle. Good luck!
    cschwanger

Answer by cschwanger at 12:35 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• They make a special breast feeding cup. Some babies like this better http://www.ccmckids.org/programs/breastfeeding_cupfeeding.asp I would not leave the baby with anyone unless you have a way established that they can feed them. Here is a cup they reccomended at class http://www.foleycup.com/

debyduz

Answer by debyduz at 1:13 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Also you have to have other people do the bottle/cup feeding training. It doesn't work when you try yourself. Babies are pretty smart. My daughter never took the bottle until she was close to being weened. My husband was not home enough for us to get this to work. He did have to watch he a few time and get her to take a bottle and she was not happy, but they got through it.
    debyduz

Answer by debyduz at 1:16 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• You son may also reverse cycle and only eat when you are around. How come you plan to stop so soon?
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 1:41 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I'm thinking that if your son is hungry enough, he is going to take the bottle.
    alysmommy0909

Answer by alysmommy0909 at 2:06 PM on Oct. 7, 2008