Do you believe birth control causes abortions?

I have read conflicting info and was just wondering what others thought.

fairyinabubble

Asked by fairyinabubble at 12:16 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Health

• It seems that some forms do. The pill will keep a fertalized egg from implanting if it happens to fertalize. IUD's and IUC's only really prevent implantation. It is already fertalized at that point. Yeah I would say most forms do cause it. I do NFP anyway....never failed me yet.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 1:54 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I do not think so. From what I understand, certain types are supposed to "trick" your body into thinking you are pregnant, and in return you do not release any eggs, which prevents you from getting pregnant. I have also heard that if you got pregnant, that some types don't allow the fertilized egg to latch onto the wall of your uterus, therefore never allowing an actual pregnancy to take place.

So really I don't think that qualifies as a spontaneous abortion, but then again that's just what I think :)

CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:19 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Some do cause miscarriages. The ones you insert inside you do not prevent pregnancy. They terminate it if you do get pregnant. Most birth controls like the pill or patch CAN cause a miscarriage or birth defects, but usually if you get pregnant on those your baby is fine.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 4:11 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Absolutely not. It prevents a pregnancy, it doesn't destroy one.
    soon2bemomof307

Answer by soon2bemomof307 at 8:01 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• yes, they do. for example, the IUD, while it does release a chemical to stop ovulation, it doesn't always work, so it also makes the uterus a hostile environment so that a fertilized egg is unable to attach itself to the uterus. pregnancy begins at conception, and many forms of birth control allow conception to take place, and then rid the body of the embryo.

i agree with the pp about natural family planning (NFP)
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 4:07 AM on Oct. 8, 2008