I just found out that my daughter is autistic, I was wondering how do you take care of an autistic child?

domsmom0410

Asked by domsmom0410 at 11:01 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Its very hard. My sister is an single mom of a two year old and a one year old. They are both autistic and she is considering puttting the one year old up for adoption. Its really hard for her. Her two year old is very abusive and throws horrible fits. umm I wish I knew her cafemom name... when I find out ill message it to you.
    pinkebabii

Answer by pinkebabii at 11:04 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I do not have a child with autism, but my younger brother is. I think its good to remember though that you are your child's advocate and you know your child better than anyone else does. For my brother's case my mom is a sahm and homeschools him, she knows him more than anyone else, and she trusts her knowledge and instinct on how to handle him. When she seeks outside advice she discerns whether its good or bad advice. Also, every child with autism is sooo different and so it really takes a person who listens to their child's need to get those needs met. I would defnitely surround yourself with other moms who have children diagnosed with autism though, they may have some helpful advice to give you!
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 11:06 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• My son was diagnosed with autism 9 years ago. We take care of him the same way any other parent would care for their child, but with the exceptions of maintaining structure, schedule and order in his day. You're welcome to PM me if you want to talk. (((((((Hugs)))))))))
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 11:10 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Look for support groups, find moms on here, read up as much as you can online and offline. Ask your doctor as much as you can!
    GL!!!
    nolaero

Answer by nolaero at 11:11 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• My oldest is on the spectrum (he has aspergers). I know he is 'different' in some of the things he does, in how he thinks about things, but I try to treat him as I would his brothers because I don't want him to use 'but I have Autism' as an excuse for his behaviors, or to get out of things. I treat him like a child, not a disorder. Some things that help are: give him notice when transitioning from activity to another, having a daily routine/schedule, and a daily checklist-- like for bedtime and getting ready for school-- so he can look at the list and see what he needs to do at the end of the day to get ready for bed, and what he needs to do in the morning to get ready for school. (in between is the daily routine-- which can also be written out and checked over during the day).
    Have you checked out any of the Autism groups on CM? They would be a great place to ask questions and get support
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:33 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Just like you do any other child. She is still, first and foremost, a child. You set limits, provide structure and routine. The first thing you need to do is educate yourself. Read books, magazine articles, google the Doug Flutie foundation, contact the Autism Society of America. Find a local special needs group - local autism society, first in families, etc. to offer support and help with locating local resources. You are your child's best advocate. What, exactly, you need to do would be based on the functioning level of your child - is she verbal? does she follow simple direction? etc. Without knowing, it's hard to offer concrete advice about exactly what to do.

Answer by missanc at 8:30 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Look for support groups
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 1:54 PM on Sep. 17, 2010