how can i get my daughter to be ok with a cat around?

My mothers cat recently scratched my daughter when she was playing too rough with him. Now everytime my daughter even sees another cat she freaks out and starts hyperventalating. I told her when the cat scratched her that she was being too rough and that the kitty didn't mean it. I'm telling her now that kitties like her and just wanna play and be nice. What can i say or do to help her be alright with cats around?

Ambreelulu

Asked by Ambreelulu at 12:18 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Pets

• How old is your dh? Make sure you are supervising her when you introduce another cat or kitten. Have her give a treat  to one in her hand, and tell her she wants to be friends with the kitty. You may have to keep doing this exposure with her a lot till she knows it is safe. You do it first and show her how to be friends with the cat. Same thing happened to a friend of mines dh. But they  adopted a kitten and all went well once she knew the do's and don't's. Good luck.

doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 2:41 PM on Oct. 7, 2008