Again a question about surg needing my gallbladder removed?

I have read that after removing your gallbladder you end up losing weight bcuz u have to watch everything u eat. That you get the runs and continue to have pain, is that true? I just want to hear it from someone that already went through the surg not just a doctor that has read it in text books.

Angelica2179

Asked by Angelica2179 at 11:12 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Health

• Well i had surgery back in november of 08 to have my gallbladder taken out. You do have to watch what you eat but not close enough that you llose weight. At least this is what ive experienced. You may have a different one. I used to be able to eat spicy food, cant now upsets that stomach too much. You do get gas from things that other people wouldnt, that pain i dont feel it alot but i every once in awhile and that is what i was told by a nurse who assisted with my surgery and she also had the same surgery done. I had pains about a week after and then again when i was prego with my second but the one with my prego it was at the end of the prego. i hope i helped a little probable not. sorry
    afarmer

Answer by afarmer at 11:21 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• My husband had his taken out. He lost weight before surg because he needed to cut some stuff out from his diet. His Dr told him after he had it taken out he could eat whatever he wanted. He actually just felt soreness but no major pain. But obviously you want to take it easy a couple days after. Hope this helps! GL

nolaero

Answer by nolaero at 11:21 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• is that what your doctor told you? well that's pretty dumb of him. generally most people do not have to watch what they eat after having their gallbladder removed. you may find some things trigger stomach problems. which probably means you have IBS or reflux. which i do. I had my gallbladder removed last summer and for the most part i have very few problems. and i was terribly bad off. it took my doctor almost a year after a dozen tests to figure out it was my gallbladder, and i was sick as hell. so i much rather have the issues i have now than to feel near death. now, some people still have major issues after surgery, but think positive. I am one of those people that expect the worst and I am doing really well. Good luck and make sure you don't sneeze or cough for at least a week after surgery. lol It was pretty painful because you use your stomach muscles more than you think.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 11:23 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I had mine out in 1999, and I have not lost weight (I wish!), I don't watch what I eat in terms of how it will affect my gall bladder, I do occasionally get the runs (but doesn't everyone occasionally?), and I have no pain. Eleven years later and I remember that pain, even more than labour pain, but I don't experience it anymore. My mom had hers out as well and I don't recall her having the pain, runs or having to watch what she ate.

I'm sure some people do experience those symptoms, but I never have. I had mine done laprascopically on a Fri and was back to caring for my 6 month old son by myself by the Mon. It was great when I had it done and I don't regret it at all.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:26 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I had my gallbladder removed in the "80's" & have a huge scar. Now adays it's called bandaid surgery because you go home with a couple of bandaids on your abdomen not the huge dressing I had. I stayed in the hospital for a week, now it's day surgery. I was miserable before the surgery,couldn't eat any of the things I loved & had lots of pain. After surgery The only pain was in the operative site. I ate anything I wanted never had a problem with food again until a few yrs. ago when I developed Gerd. Nexium took care of that. I never had any of the problems you mentioned. I wish I had lost weight. One of the things they say about gallbladder disease is people who have it are usually fair,fat & forty. That was me to a tee. Everyone else I've known with this problem have been the same. Of course that is just silly because dark haired skinny people have problems too! I'm sure you will do just fine with your surgery. Good luck!
    zoolady12

Answer by zoolady12 at 11:44 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I had my gallbladder removed while I was 18 wks pregnant 3 yrs ago. I don't have to watch what I eat and I haven't lost any wieght :( except the amount I lost during the gallbladder attacks.

And zoolady.. I was fair, fat, and 22 LOL
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 3:18 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I had mine out 8 years ago. The only difference is that I have to be careful of hard to digest foods (fat, high fiber), because I get stomach cramps. I didn't lose weight, and it didn't really affect me negatively at all.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:58 AM on Aug. 16, 2010