How come you can't have your tubes tied if you're not 25??

I am 21 and pregnant with my second child. I am sure that I don't want any more kids after this one. I heard you can't get your tubes tied if you're not 25 yet, Can anyone telly me why? And how did that come about?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:15 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• They want you to make sure you dont want anymore. I was told that you had to be 25 or have 3 kids. and when you have it done you HAVE to have your husbands permission if you are married. (Men also have to have permission from their wives). At least that is what all the doctors I talked to said
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 11:17 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• The only time you can get your tubes tied before you are 25 is if there is a medical reason that would cause life threatening effects on both mother/child if concepection was made.
    fullhousemom

Answer by fullhousemom at 11:21 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I would have to google this to know if it was the law in Indiana.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 11:30 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• IDK Im 22 and i have only 2 chldren and i have my tubes tied indefintly. The doc keep askin if i was sure even b4 the surgery while i was waiting to be put to sleep. I think its controling for them to be able to put an age on something like that. ITS OUR BODIES WE CAN DO WHAT WE WANT WITH THEM. I also live insc.
    afarmer

Answer by afarmer at 11:30 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Well as much as people say they dont want more...I was one of them and then I had my third child and could NOT imagine not having her...so I think it's just to really protect you..even though you are annoyed..it is to help...and I SWEAR life changes mentally when I turned 25...from 18 to 21 was a big difference...but when I hit 25 i was much more into having more children...
    Mommyof3yippey

Answer by Mommyof3yippey at 11:45 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• It really is something to protect you. You do a lot of growing up once you turn 25 and you start seeing life differently. For us, we were one of the ones who scraped by and got a Vasectomy when my Husband was only 23. Six years later we were saving money for a reversal because life had changed so much and we wanted more. I know it may seem like a nusiance but it really is to help you.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 12:25 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• They want to make sure you really don't want any more kids. Hubby had a vascetemy while I was pregnant with our youngest (he was 22) and the surgeon had to talk with both of us before he would do the surgery. It was not a rash decision (we both knew we were ready to stop having kids) and after talking with us they did complete the surgery.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:17 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• It may seem like a nusiance but it really is to help you. - Exactly
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 8:05 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• In TX you have to be at least 21 to get your tubes tied.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 6:50 PM on Aug. 16, 2010