Has anyone's child had the chicken pox even after getting vaccinated?

My dd got her varicella vaccine in May when she turned 12 months. My other dd told me that when she went to her bio mom's house, her baby brother had chicken pox and had red spots all over his face and legs. Yesterday I noticed on my younger dd's arm red bumps that I thought may have been a heat rash. This morning she had more red bumps on her belly and by the time afternoon rolled around she had more on her side. I don't know for sure if this is chicken pox, but I am concerned. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

nicolemstacy

Asked by nicolemstacy at 11:23 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• yes,my daughter got the chick pox, doctor said 1 out of 10 still gets the pox after being vaccinated
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 11:25 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• My son got the chicken pox like a week after he was vaccinated.
    GigantaursMommy

Answer by GigantaursMommy at 11:27 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I did.
    pinkebabii

Answer by pinkebabii at 11:28 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• A vaccination is not a guarantee of immunity. The cpox vaccine is a useless cash cow unless there is a reason to suspect a severe rare reaction to cpox.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:37 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I taught preschool and many kids had the chicken pox after they had received the vaccine. They usually get a milder case of it
    Annacka

Answer by Annacka at 11:38 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I got it twice as a kid and I was vaccinated. My sister also got it once after she had been vaccinated. My daughter hasn't been vaccinated yet, and I'm not sure if I'll get her vaccinated or not.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 11:55 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Here's what we experienced. Max went played in a childcare room at a gym. Found out later that some kids had chicken pox over the nest fe weeks that were in the group. Two weeks after playing in the room, Max had maybe 10 bumps that didn't look quite like bug bites, but not like chicken pox either. Took him to the ped. She said kids who have the vax can still have a reaction when exposed to chicken pox, but often looks like "atypical" type red bumps, produces no fever, is not contagious, and will not result in any resperatory issue like regular chicken pox. So off to preschool he went the next day and was no worse for wear. Now that he has full blown asthma, I am thankful I don't have to worry abou the resperatory issues that goes along with full blown chicken pox since it would probably result in a hosptial admission for breathing issues.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 12:04 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• yes
    regian19832002

Answer by regian19832002 at 12:30 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• no, we havent'
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:48 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• My youngest son got them 3 times. The Dr said that he was not building up an immunity. Each time it was very light.
    valkay

Answer by valkay at 1:07 AM on Aug. 16, 2010