how can i help my husband to gain weight?

my husband has stomach problems (diarreha, cramps, etc) that no doctor can diagnose. he is 6ft and weighs 128 (very thin but not sick looking... yet) doesn't smoke or drink... he can't seem to put on weight. We've tried cooking every night to try and plump him up a bit. Is there any kinda diet where he can put on weight healthy?

Ambreelulu

Asked by Ambreelulu at 12:22 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Diet & Fitness

• Well you could send em to my house for a few. I seem to have put weight on myself my hubby and all of our critters..*laughs* I am sorry to hear you hubby is having problems like this though, have they checked his gall bladder? Have you eliminated certain food groups? Dairy for a month then say gluten the next etc?

http://nutrition.about.com/od/dietsformedicaldisorders/f/GainWeight.htm

mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 1:49 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• he's allergic to most fruits (the skin i'm guessing).. and also violently allergic to seafood (except shrimp in small portions... we're tried figuring out what causes it and avoiding it. even the simplest thing like gatorade has affected him.
    Ambreelulu

Answer by Ambreelulu at 2:32 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Has he seen a gastroenterologist? Been checked for a tapeworm?What about collagenous colitis and lymphocytic colitis, or celiac disease? You should pursue this with a gastroenterologist, and if they don't find the source of the problem, try another. It's important to find a reputable specialist.
    Have you tried elimination dieting? this is where you eliminate foods, one every few days, to find out which foods are having the most effect.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 3:01 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Believe it or not but meal replacement shakes and bars. He wouldn't replace the meals just add to them. Make sure he's followed closely. You don't want him to be at an unhealthy weight.
    mom2trewife2vic

Answer by mom2trewife2vic at 5:28 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Has he been checked for Crohn's disease? If he is having the cramps & going to the bathroom right after he eats it could be that. My uncle, aunt, mom and grandma all have/had it & they lost a lot of weight. My uncle just recently lost at least 20 pounds because his has gotten so bad.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 8:10 PM on Oct. 7, 2008