how can i help my son from being constipated

aquamum

Asked by aquamum at 11:29 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Kids' Health

• prune juice, raisins. suppositories.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 11:31 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• For a quick fix. I give DD an Oatmeal cream pie...works like a charm in a couple of hours.

Try to work more roughage into his diet or oatmeal on a regular basis.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:31 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• juice - apple, grape, pineapple, prune (I was told that any with a P in the fruit name will help you poop LOL easy enough to remember)
    limit dairy!
    more fiber.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:32 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• thankx so much............:)
    aquamum

Comment by aquamum (original poster) at 11:32 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• apple juice, a warm bath. ive had to use suppositories on both my boys and it hurts to see them cry but the end effect is wounderous. id rather hear them cry for a min while im putting it in, then to hear them cry because there constipated.
    afarmer

Answer by afarmer at 11:33 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Miralax was my sons helper at first until I saw a dietician - we started with making sure he had at LEAST 7 grams of fiber a day, which in reality is NOT that hard, if you get fiber one muffin mix or pancake mix or bread, that alone is 7 grams .. he was truly like a new child.. but you can increase or decrease as it works.. it only takes 2 days of full fiber amounts to know if its working correclty if you need more or less - mind the gas pains at first or have mylicon drops for the starting day
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:33 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Fiber or Fiber meds
    My daughter was constipated as a baby. A doctor friend said rub gentle circle around her belly button. Picture a clock and rub gentle massaging circle on each number. Everytime we did this she dropped a huge stool within hours.
    Now she is 7 and still needs fiber capsules sometimes.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 11:34 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• @Jademom07- it seems so obvious but I would have never thought of the oatmeal cream pies! neat trick! thanks for the idea!
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:34 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• yeah, if you have a picky child, they never put their nose up at junk food, LOL
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:37 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• If he has constapated a long time, he may have stretched his colon. So what happens is that the stool gets so fat, that its like trying to shove orange thru the whole the size of a grape. His stool will need to stay very soft for quite some time until the colon returns to is regular size. I would suggest low dose of miralax everyday... probably at least a month. Hopefully by then the colon will be smaller and the stool it produces will be smaller in diameter and be able to exit the body without so much effort. Be sure to give him lots of fiber to keep his stool soft as you go off of the miralax. Strawberry frosted mini wheat are really high in fiber. And water... lots of water.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 11:41 PM on Aug. 15, 2010