SAHM or working mom?

If you had a choice which would you do??

Stay at home with the kids or go to work?

nolaero

Asked by nolaero at 11:39 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• working mom. i like to get out of the house, get out and socialize, have a reason to get up and get dressed, and especially a paycheck with my name on it.
    but i would love to be able to stay home with my children for the first 9 months to a year of there life, and then go back to work.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:41 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• SAHM with an in home business. There isn't enough to do staying home with kids. I work 50 hours a week and still do all the housework and cooking so if I had an additional 50 hours at home, I would be bored without something else to do.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:41 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I do have a choice, and I chose to be a SAHM with a part time job on the side that I can handle from home. To me, it's really the best of both worlds. =)

We do make it a point to do things together on the weekends, and if I feel the itch to go out and do some things I can as hubby doesn't take the car to work anymore. He takes the bike =)
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 11:42 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Well depends.. when I am at work I spend all my time missing my son and when I am home, I wonder how so many mothers do stay at home... I would LOVe to be like Glamourina but I can't.. I have to work and miss out on so much yet also get to get away and go to work -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:42 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Definately stay at home. I guess that sounds like an obvious choice... I currently work 40+ hrs a week and I really dont mind it. It's stressful of course because it's shiftwork so it makes it that much harder, but my husband and I have already decided that once we have saved up the down payment for a new house I can quit.

he has actually offered several times because he knows how stressful it can be, but i also want to feel a relief knowing that MY income and hard work paid the down payment (as of now my whole salary is going into my checking account for the sole purpose of house payment). Heck even after we get a house i may keep working so i can get a new car! lol... it's a huge relief being debt free, really helps us be able to dream and fufill it with hard work.
    1st_time_mom23

Answer by 1st_time_mom23 at 11:43 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• that's a hard one..i've worked all of my 5yo's life, until june when i quit after 23yrs of working. i've really enjoyed being home with him all summer, but i really miss the socialization work brought. i never realized that's what got me through some of the crappy workdays. lol! i miss my clients! and the people i worked with.
    so..idk how i'd answer this.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:45 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I have a choice and I'm a SAHM. It was the easiest decision I've ever made. I always knew I'd want to do it, and I absolutely love it. It's by far the most important job I could ever have. I'm just very grateful to my husband for making it possible more me to stay at home and for us to live comfortably. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:03 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I chose to be a SAHM until our daughters were both in school, then I started working as a substitute teacher so I could only work when they were at school. Now that they are both older (high school and middle school) I work as preschool teacher, run a web and graphic design business from home and sell quite a bit on eBay. I also homeschool our two girls.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:05 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• My home business allows me to be a SAHGM!
    Gene_Godwin

Answer by Gene_Godwin at 1:14 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I'm happiest being a working mom.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:45 AM on Aug. 16, 2010