How to harvest sunflower seeds?

I asked a similar question a while ago, when my sunflowers (whose seed packets said their seeds could be harvested) first started to wilt. I was told to let the flowers dry first and then the seeds would come out. Well, I've left them on the table on the patio for a couple of weeks now (or at least 1 week, I can't remember exactly when I cut them) and they are dry, but I still have to work really hard to pull the seeds out. Plus they seem really small compared to what you would buy in the store. Is this normal? Does anyone have a helpful tip for getting the seeds out?

debbymichelle

Asked by debbymichelle at 11:51 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Home & Garden

• We found out that we had two sunflowers in our backyard (we moved here in February, and the people who lived here before us planted all kinds of stuff). I decided to try and get the seeds out of one, and all I did was sort of "brush" them out with the heel of my hand. You may still have to pluck some out. It was time consuming, but I wouldn't say it was hard. It also helped to sort of bend the flower head while I did it. Unfortunately, I did it too early, so the seeds were too soft, and we ended up throwing them away. We still have one flower left though.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 2:23 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I just leave them on the stalk and let the birds eat the in the fall/winter.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:23 PM on Aug. 16, 2010