Question for you mompreneur's out there.

Do any of you know any sites or anything on how to legally hire your first employee for a small business? How was your first hiring experience? My husband and I's business is growing to a point where we have a person in mind to hire, but don't know the legal routes and we have a meeting with some people we trust over it, but just curious if you ladies had anything that I can look into before hand. Just cause this is new for us!

SparklingHope

Asked by SparklingHope at 11:54 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Money & Work

• I don't have a clue either, but look around in your area and find Chamber of Commerce in your town or city. Also ask in City Hall if they have a small business department, this one should be able to answer more about taxes and such.
    In my town I also have an organization for women helping them find jobs, write resumes, gives advice on how to approach a job interview, but they may also have info about small businesses.
    And next step when you get home you may read a library book, borrowed for free from library, on the subject that interests you. Also make notes from it or get more books with more information and symply find as much information you can get.
    You can actually go to the library first and then kame notes and with thos gio to the Commerce Chanber and those other places.
    Good luck.
    May I ask what you Guys do?
    Love, Bea Moore
    BeaMoore

Answer by BeaMoore at 12:15 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• You can find the information you are looking for at Small Business Association- http://www.sba.gov/smallbusinessplanner/manage/manageemployees/SERV_HIRINGEMPFAQ.html

Also, check with city hall. In my town, we have to pay extra on our business licenses if we have employees. It is different for every city, but it is best to check beforehand.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:16 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• i agree with jm about goin to city hall...
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 6:58 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I have yet to hire anyone. I am still a one woman operation. Check your local small business resource center (most colleges have them). They offer free guidance for the public when it comes to small business needs and questions.
    MakkarMom

Answer by MakkarMom at 8:31 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I have lots of startup and HR experience. Send me a message if you want to chat (these little boxes are much too small)

Answer by rkoloms at 6:35 AM on Aug. 17, 2010