Are they effing serious? Why don't they cut their OWN lunch budget!

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/114271-dems-consider-more-food-stamp-cuts-to-fund-child-nutrition-bill?sms_ss=twitter

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 12:22 AM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• But, but I thought the dems were just all concerned with the plight of the poor, common man! So, all those 40 million families who now receive FS are gonna get another cut....just so the poor kiddies at school can get nutritious food at school. Which means they won't be getting nutritious food at home! Yep, ya gotta love the irony of this bone-headed move!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 12:49 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• In a lot of places, people really do get more in FS than they need.
    -----
    Yes, of course SOME people receive more than they need. But there are many families who get some assistance. And the couple hundred bucks they get in FS is all they can put toward their food budget, since UE is not a full paycheck. This is just another way to get back at those who are trying to make it. Because you see, this will only hurt those who are working, but not earning enough to fully support themselves and need a little bit of help. Do you really think that all those 40 million families are receiving THAT much a month in FS?

I just find it ironic that the party who advocates all the social entitlement programs is the one who is now advocating taking funds from those same programs! But when the Repubs want to know where the next round of UEC funding is going to come from, they are accused of not caring about the poor & the unemployed!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 1:52 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Maybe congress can spend either a month on food stamps or a month eating school lunch. They would find some common ground.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:48 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I think its weird that they would make cuts to the programs that help the people who they claim to want to help the most....

ohbladi, I do agree they give too much in some areas... but instead of cutting the money all together, they could have it go to better prevent FS/PA fraud. And there are lots of other things that could be cut to pay for this bill.

Why not cut the cost of maintaining unused or vacant federal properties (20billion annually).... or maybe the 2.6mil used for teaching Chinese prostitutes to drink responsibly on the job....

But if we could ONLY get them to pay their taxes would we be set!
    Federal employees owe more than $3 billion in income taxes they failed to pay in 2008.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 1:49 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• In a lot of places, people really do get more in FS than they need. I speak from experience.

It does not help us learn to budget for ourselves, since once we just barely they pass the income requirements by a few hundred a month there is no way we can keep spending that amount on groceries, and it allows us to buy more (or at least more expensive) food than we need to live and be healthy. In my state, a family of 3 gets up to $540 in FS. My sister-in-law's family received this much, plus WIC formula (the third household member was an infant). My family of three (with a child, not an infant on free milk) spends less than $300 a month on groceries in the exact same town, so I know what the cost of groceries is. I am on FS myself, but I do not spend $540 because it simply isn't necessary. I don't need soda and Little Debbies, chips, cake, and ice cream, like they spend the extra on daily.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 12:53 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• They need to cut ALL them dumbass perks for congress....they don't even CONSIDER it when looking for places to cut...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:57 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I guess they figure if they raise the amount schools get for healthy food, the kids won't need so much food at home. OF course it is crazy and I hope it''s just a fly by night suggestion that won't happen. It's really bad when your government says we have nothing to cut so we have to cut food aid? Give me a break!
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:58 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• This is another bone headed idea right up there with cutting off ones nose dispite their face!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 12:22 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I guess they figure if they raise the amount schools get for healthy food, the kids won't need so much food at home.

Our principal just got a grant for fresh fruit at my dd's school. Along with it, they had to allow them to paint the cafeteria..Why? Just a WASTE...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:03 AM on Aug. 16, 2010