How can i quit breast feeding my three years old child?

He is getting more and more attached to me. I am employed full time . I need time for office work back at home also. My husband is also employed full time. My son protested that i should not go to work. His baby sitter is also trying her best to comfort him. I am also worried that he might be emotionally hurt. My mother-in-law suggests i should stop breast feeding. If my son does not see me, it is ok. But when he sees me, he will insist on breast feeding. As he also sleeps with me, he usually goes to sleep while breast feeding. He wants to be cuddled a lot also. My concern for him is for him to make new friends and more socially developed. May be one reason is,he is not yet sent to nursery. I have tried many ways. But it does not work. This is also my first child and he has no other sibling at home to play with. I am now also worried about sending him to day nursery as he is so attached to me and home.

Janawtara

Asked by Janawtara at 12:39 AM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Why not try putting him in a preschool type environment instead of a babysitter? This may help him move on.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:41 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• He is 3 and still drinking from you?

Hmmm

Seriously its time to stop my children i couldnt BF,
    i know he is attached to you..but...oh well...let him pick out his own sippys etc .....tell him your boobs are broken....he will understand...

LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 12:42 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• wow you should of weened the baby off about 9 months, your just gonna have to start giving him or her a sipper cup and deal with the crying, cause 3 years old is way to ols to be breast feeding, sorry just my opinion...
    creena

Answer by creena at 12:45 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I think the child is too old to still be breast feeding. You just have to STOP and tell him "BF is for babies and sicne he is a big boy he is going to be using a cup". He will cry and fuss, but you need to toughen up and ignore it.

Probably hard to do too many things at once, but you need to get the child out of your bed soon after too.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 12:49 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I breastfed my son until he was three, and my daughter until she was two. There is nothing wrong with it - it's nutritious for the child, and humans historically nursed their children until about the age of four in order to help space out pregnancies. It can be hard to wean at that age, though, because it's become such a habit for the child. I warned my children in advance, for a few weeks saying we're going to stop nursing soon because you're getting too big for it, cut back gradually and then chose a day and told them it was their last day nursing, and stuck to it. Both did ok with it.
    popcornlover

Answer by popcornlover at 12:54 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Well I am not sure I can help my son was 10mos when I weaned him and my girls were 20mos. I usually slowly wean starting with the feeding they aren't attached too then working toward the more attached feedings. I only co sleep till 12mos so this is what broke the numerous night time feeding. I found if I was not right next to them then they did not wake and want to BF. I thought they would still wake alot only at first and I gradually cut back the feeding once they were in their beds. I am sure at 3 its alot harder though. My only advice is slowly wean and be consistant.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 1:03 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• First off bravo for breast feeding this long. You are an awesome woman! Now for weaning try rocking him instead and singing. If he insists on nursing exspress some in a cup and tell him he is a big boy and big boys drink from cups. No matter what do not let in to his pleas! Your in control of this. He will not hate you for it. GL and again good job moma!
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 1:31 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• My daughter just stopped breast feeding at three years and three months. She is no way adversely affected socially or emotionally by extended breast feeding. She is very bright and outgoing. I think your son just misses the closeness he was accustomed to having with you, and now that you are at work he misses that routine. There is nothing wrong with breast feeding that long, and no where is there any medical data that says you "should" stop breast feeding at a certain time. In fact the American Academy of Pediatrics suggest you "breastfeed exclusively for the first six months and support for breastfeeding for the first year and beyond as long as mutually desired by mother and child." [cont'd]

LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 2:50 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• And the World Health Organization "fully endorsed the position of health experts that children should be exclusively breastfed for the first four to six months and thereafter breastmilk complemented by other foods should be continued beyond the second year of life." I know people like Dr. Phil may get on television and say otherwise but he is not a medical expert. If you are ready to wean then start by limiting it to the night feeding until he is more comfortable with your work schedule. He is just wanting the comfort of being close to you since there has been a change recently. My guess is that breast feeding is just his way doing so, not the cause of his acting out while you are away. When my daughter stopped it was just a night that I had been reading to her in bed and rubbing her hair and back and she fell asleep without nursing. It was pretty uneventful, which surprised me. So I did the same thing the next night. GL!
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 3:01 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Breastfeeding a 3 year old is not only normal and natural (the world average age of weaning is 4 years old and from an anthropological standpoint, the natural age of weaning for humans is from 4-7 years old) but it is beneficial, both physically and emotionally. If you want to breastfeed, don't stop. Here is some info on the benefits of nursing your toddler: Extended Breastfeeding Fact Sheet, and  Not Just For Babies: 10 Reasons to Breastfed Your Toddler

Here is some info on weaning if YOU decide that's what you want to do: Weaning

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 3:10 PM on Aug. 16, 2010