What should I do?

My sons father went to prison for 4-6 years, my So said oh you should have the kids write him a letter every month. I looked at him like he had an alian coming out of his face---i have was with that ass for 13 years I gave everything, it didn't work and this was the last straw, the kids have not mentioned him in four months, i was honestly going to write him off and save my money and move out of state when he got out. The kids are 10 and 6. The convict is the bio father to the 6 year old son.

blue_glass_mama

Asked by blue_glass_mama at 12:44 AM on Aug. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• honestly, if your son asks about his father, let him write to him, but if he's not talking about him or anything, I wouldn't try to force it on him or anything.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 12:55 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I agree. I'd let your cues come from your son.
    catharsis

Answer by catharsis at 1:06 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• My oldest son (11 yrs) is going through the same thing but it's his bio mom who is in prison. I married his dad 7 yrs ago and his bio mom left him and his father when he was 2. I have adopted him but when his mother was put in prison all of a sudden letters started showing up. We were advised by his counsler to read any letters that come to the house before giving them to him and to also allow him to write her if he wanted to but not to push it. We have done this and every so often he writes her but usually won't because he tells us that she is not his mom because she was never there for him. If your son wants to write his father then let him but if he doesn't want to then don't make him either.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 8:46 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• As the other ladies have said, follow your sons lead on this. If he wants to have contact, let him write to him. I would absolutely read anything his father sends to him before allowing him to read it as well. If your son asks about his father, be honest with him (age-appropriate of course.)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:18 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• yes i think its best to just wait and see how your son deals with it. if he is asking about his dad and stuff then you can ask him if he wants to write him a letter if he doesnt mentiong it or anythign then i think its best to just not. make sure you tell him if his dad writes to him or soemthing so you can let him choose if he wants to write back or not. your son has nothign to do with the problems you have with him so try and put that aside foryour son
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 12:04 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• yeah if your son ask about his dad then yeah i would write him but if he doesnt dont force it but if you feel the need to move somewhere else then i hope if works out for you & good luck
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 3:40 PM on Aug. 16, 2010