With the economic downturn, does crime seem up where you are? Do you have security for your house?

I don't know if it's up here but summer tends to be worse. I'm considering some home security measures. People are breaking into every car on the block. I just don't want them coming into the house. Do you have burglar deterrents like a security system or lights or anything around the home? Does it help?

jeanclaudia

Asked by jeanclaudia at 12:55 AM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Crime doesn't seem to be up around her, we live in a pretty nice area. As for security, we have a 95lb Doberman that would bark if he heard a raccoon fart across the street lol.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 2:04 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• we are surrounded by corn. The raccoons do steal my trash somedays.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:56 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• My dogs tell me every week when the garbage men steal the garbage. They tend to tell me about everything else ... about the squirrels wandering around, about the toads when it rains, about leaves that drift about outside their pens.

The roosters aren't any better! They seem to have taken lessons from the dogs and tell me about these things.

If they tell me about humans wandering around who aren't stealing our trash or just don't belong here, I've got a 12 gauge and a .243 loaded and within reach at all times. I like the .243 .... best little varmint gun around ... gets the two legged and the four legged ones and the rest of the time it just hangs out and doesn't pest me.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 4:33 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• We live in a very safe neighborhood, but there has been one break-in this year, last month. We have been talking about have a security system installed.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 12:58 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• i have a fake security camera mounted onto my house. they are about 20 bucks. you can find them online on 'as seen on tv' sites
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 1:00 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Yes, I've seen those cameras and my neighbor has them! Doesn't seem to help here and the thing is, we live in a really safe area too. I'm not sure if these are kids or people that just don't belong in this neighborhood. We go through periods of burglaries when people are home and mostly during the day. It's shocking to me. But we live near the city.
    jeanclaudia

Comment by jeanclaudia (original poster) at 1:04 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• According to the 2009 crime rate, I live in the 12th most dangerous city in the USA. But as far as my neighborhood goes I feel safe, plus there is always police in here doing patrol. We don't have the money for alarms, but the doors stay locked at all times. Especially after they found a dead body close by. Ofcourse stuff like that is rare and usually only happens down town. Which is 10-15 minutes from me on the highway.
    Apple_Pie2010

Answer by Apple_Pie2010 at 1:51 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Nope- very little crime where I live. One home has security, the other does not. Neither really needs a security system- most of the homes we've lived in have had security systems- I guess it's been the "in" thing-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:28 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• we live on army posts, no matter where we move, and we have military police guarding our gate and IDing everyone, plus searches if you dont have a military ID! No real crime here
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 2:44 PM on Aug. 16, 2010