Is this legal to do? Worried about my neighbors kids

My neighbors have 3 kids.... this summer they were outside on several occasions..no parents around the oldest is about 9 or 10 maybe and she is CONSTANTLY caring for the 3 and 1 year old. I mean she does EVERYTHING! the parents had no clue once and the baby was outside in the 100 degree sun with only a filthy diaper and NO sunscreen..he also had chiggers all over his skin...I took a blanket out of our house and layed it on the grass for him to sit on..then I went and got baby sunscreen and rubbed it all over him...I was also at the post office and there they are ...all walking there at night with once again no parents...it's pathetic the oldest girl is having to take care of the little ones while the lazy non parents do nothing...is this legal? I live in Illinois. FYI

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I would be calling CPS first thing in the morning!
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:10 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• It sounds like neglect to me. That is so sad. :(
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:10 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• call CPS
    Gene_Godwin

Answer by Gene_Godwin at 1:10 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I agree with the others. Let CPS find out what's going on if that's what you're seeing consistently.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 1:11 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• No its not legal. Call CPS and file a report. In fact its a crime to witness neglect and not report it. How would you feel if that baby dies of exposure in the hot summer weather and you had not said something. Hopefully it will be a wake up call for the parents and they will get their act in gear when they have a social worker looking over their shoulder.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 1:11 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I agree call CPS, also see if there is another neighbor willing to do so. The more people that call the more quickly they will act.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:12 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• That's child neglect. The parents should never leave their children out alone and roaming around like that.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 1:13 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I am not sure if it's illegal. Not a cop...but I do know that it doesn't seem right. a legal adult should be looking after these children- even the ten year old should have some type of supervision once in awhile, or checked on. There are kidnappers everywhere, and they will snatch up a ten year old when they have a chance. I would honestly call CPS on them. I have had to do it before. This woman I knewe had a 9 month old baby and a 3 year old son. The baby always had bruises all over his body- arms, face, legs...she said it was from falling out of his crib, or that his older brother was wresling with him. I am not stupid and I have 2 kids of my own...you don't get several different brusing from fallin out of a crib. My daughter did and she had no bruses! Anyway..I think they call before they make their visit..so you might have to annonmously call again, and again.
    Longos-wife

Answer by Longos-wife at 1:13 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I just can't get the image of how I imagine that baby with a dirty diaper, getting sunburned and bit by chiggers! My son is almost a year old and picturing a baby his age like that breaks my heart. :(
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:14 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• you can call now if your nerves up, it's 24/7 no need to wait
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 1:14 AM on Aug. 16, 2010