Freaked out be hair washing????

Hello there. My daughter will be three in a couple of weeks. I have to literally hold her down while she is kicking and screaming just to even put water on her head let alone shampoo..........................Anyone have issues like this??? Any suggestions??

thia_josh

Asked by thia_josh at 1:09 AM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Hi there! I don't know but here's a bump! GL!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 1:22 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• have you tried to figure out if she doesn't like water in her hair, or is it getting in her face that bothers her
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 1:26 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Have you let her pick out her own shampoo? My kids can be the same way so they get to pick out their own special shampoo. Makes them want to wash their hair everytime they bathe :)
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 1:27 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Thank you for the comments. Yes, I have tried everything. She even freaks out if it's just water. But she loves swimming and sprinklers and such............... In the tub, she screams that it hurts her eyes.........even just plain water............but her eyes don't get red or anything and sometimes the water isn't even close to her eyes.................
    thia_josh

Comment by thia_josh (original poster) at 1:30 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• i HATE THE SHOWER WATER IN MY FACE BUT I LIKE SWMMING. MAYBE GIVE HER A TOWEL TO WIP HER FACE OR HER WHERE SHE DOESNT LIKE WATER.
    pinkebabii

Answer by pinkebabii at 1:47 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Yes, we always have a towel right on the edge of the tub for her quick grabbing..............
    thia_josh

Comment by thia_josh (original poster) at 1:49 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• What about a wash cloth OVER her face while you put the water on? My dd HATED getting her hair washed because of the water in her face and someone suggested I try that and it worked for her. Or you could try putting enough water in the tub so it doesn't quite cover her ears when she lies down in it. Then take a cup and gently pour over the top of her head while she's lying there. Maybe even offer her a little treat or sticker or something afterward if she doesn't scream and lets you wash.
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 1:59 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I usually wash my boys' hair by having them sit under the faucet and look up so it drips down their head instead of in their face. Believe me, it took A LONG time to get them comfortable. They still fight me though.
    bubsiclesmom

Answer by bubsiclesmom at 2:15 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• My DS is the same way, he's 2.5. Haircuts are a nightmare as well. I give him a washcloth for his face, talk to him softly, and get it over with as quick as I can. It's getting better, I think he realizes it's something that has to be done, but it's never fun. I keep hoping he grows out of it soon.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:14 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• We use a cup to pour the water and have my 3 year old tilt her head all the way back and taht way we have better control of the water. Most nights we can keep the water out of her face but she definitely freaks out if even a drop gets on her forehead! GOOD LUCK!
    msmaddox

Answer by msmaddox at 10:36 AM on Aug. 16, 2010