Comfort item during time out?

I use the term "timeout" loosely here. My 2 year old will has started having tantrums and screaming when he doesn't get his way, so I put him in his bed until he's done. Do you think I should give him his paci while in there (as he's screaming for it) or let him cry his tantrum out? Does it kind of defeat the purpose? I have given it to him because he will calm down if I do, which is my goal. And it isn't really a time out - more like a cooling-off place - for him AND me!

mama2000_1

Asked by mama2000_1 at 1:12 AM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• How I see time outs is as a way of getting a child to cool down not as a punishment. When a child is in a temper tantrum they usually are out of control, overwelmed and has 'flipped their lid' so to say, so I think giving a child a 'comfort item' or something to get them to calm down is a good thing to do. Then when they are calm you can address the issue (especially for older children who will remember why they threw a fit... a toddler may not remember why he/she was crying in the first place). btw.. i give myself time outs at times. When I get overwelmed by my children and feel like I'm going to loose it, I will go into another room until I can collect myself enough to correct them. That way I handle them the right way.... I actually had to do that today.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:18 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• We never used pacifiers, so I'm not sure about that, but we take away everything when we put our son in timeout.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 1:13 AM on Aug. 16, 2010