Speaking of Smoking

Why do people quit smoking while preggers and start up again?

pinkebabii

Asked by pinkebabii at 1:24 AM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Thats a good question, I mean, if you're gonna quit, then quit for good!
    Morgs7531642

Answer by Morgs7531642 at 1:30 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I have no idea. My OB told me not to quit while I was pregnant as the stress of quitting could harm the baby more than smoking. He said to just cut back to about 5 a day...so I did. If I could have quit smoking I would like to think I wouldn't have started again.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 1:30 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I always wondered the same thing.....
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 1:35 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Because they dnt wanna affect their baby..is better than have her not quit at all n continue..
    Leilene07

Answer by Leilene07 at 3:13 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I quit smoking cold turkey within 2 weeks of learning that I was pregnant the first time.  I started smoking again 8 years later because I was under enormous stress.

I've quit smoking 3 times in my life and every time I started back up again was due to stress.  If I hadn't already been smoking when my dad died 2 years ago, I would  have started back up again for sure.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:28 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I agree with Beeky. I quit both times I was pregnant, but eventually started back. It can be a very hard habit to shake psychologically. I have been without a cigarette for a few years now--yay me!--but I still crave them from time to time. I hope to never start back, but I can't say that I am absolutely, positively sure that it couldn't happen, especially if I experienced something traumatic. Unless you've ever been a smoker, or dealt with some other addiction, you probably can't understand how that works.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:00 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• i dont know why some poeple smoke they shouldnt smoke at all it is not good for them or there child & it gives you bad lungs bad breath turns your teeth yellow & gives the kids second hand smoke they shouldnt have made cig legal at all
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 3:18 PM on Aug. 16, 2010