Do you HAVE to get blood taken while pregnant?

iam almost 19 weeks, and haven't done so yet... My doctor knows, and he doesn't seem to get on me..but i was just going to wait until i was 20 weeks and had to drink the sugar stuff to test for gestational diabetes..The reason, why i don't worry because ive had ultrasounds, and everything.. and nothing seems to be wrong.. but this is my first pregnancy. I've Had EVERYTHING DONE, but blood taken...
anythingg? ?

Yung_mama15

Asked by Yung_mama15 at 12:43 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Pregnancy

• nope, you can refuse any and all test.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 12:48 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Not sure about the states. But here in germany every OB takes blood from you as soon as they know you are pregnant. They test you for all kinds of things, specially HIV and Hepatitis and so on.

If thats what the blood test is for that youre talking about, then i would def. not refuse it. ;-)

wishing you a great pregnancy and a healthy baby. :)

m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 12:51 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• around 28 weeks they do a gestational diabets test and they have to draw blood for it
    mom-to-be21

Answer by mom-to-be21 at 12:52 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• For all of my pregnancies I had blood drawn the day the pregnancy was confirmed. They tested for every type of STD and any other abnormalities in my blood. Whether or not it is required, I'm not sure. If you're doctor isn't worried about it, then I wouldn't be either. However, I wouldn't decline any blood testing that could help.
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 12:59 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• well if you have to do the three hour glucose tollerance test, dont worry you'll give blood then, they usually do 4 draws, also, they will do a few tests late in the pregnancy, cause up til then i never gave blood for anything...
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 1:03 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I will tell you this all the test are for you and your babies well being ..Not just for the hell of it ..Safty for you and the baby should be on your mind. TAKE ALL THE TEST OK.

Answer by louise2 at 1:10 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• They test your blood to see if you have the the rhfactor and that could be life and death. It s really important to get your blood drawn for all of the tests the run on it. The will only stick you one time for the tests. I would just get it done and let it be over with. They are going to draw blood when you have the baby too. You don't have to consent to anything but, its in your and your babies best interest if you get the blood work done. Ultrasounds don't pick up everything.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:15 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Getting blood drawn isn't the same as getting a vaccine for something : /
    My OB drew a bunch of blood at my very first appointment. They tested for STDs and genetic abnormalities that might harm my baby. I'd rather know about something like that rather than leaving it all up to chance. Ultrasounds and poking around your belly can't tell you as much as a blood test can.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:15 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Also, may I add...they would never have known that I'm RH negative if I wouldn't have had my blood drawn. This could have prevented me from having the Rhogam shot, which would have prevented me from having any more babies after this one. If you aren't sure if you're RH negative or not, I STRONGLY suggest having the blood test done if you plan on having any more kids.

But yeah...on that note, it's your choice. Nobody can force you to do anything, we can only give you our opinions.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:18 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• First Trimester: routine blood tests to identify your blood type and Rh status, as well as a blood count to check for anemia. She'll also have the lab test your blood for: • Syphilis • Hepatitis B • Immunity to German measles (rubella) • Immunity to chicken pox — if you're not sure whether you've ever had the illness or been vaccinated against it. Pregnancy.com

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:22 PM on Oct. 7, 2008