What to do with an inheritance

If you received a large inheritance and you were married but still didn't own a home, and you asked your dh whether the two of you should invest in a home with the money and he said he didn't care, what would you then do with the money? I'm thinking of not buying a home with my dh because he doesn't care, and instead using it for personal needs, what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:52 AM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Money & Work

• I did that with my inheritance. I bought a house.. Its a very good investment.. and I would buy a cheap one and use the left over money if there is any to fix it up how I like it.. Thats what I did and I LOVE IT! Good luck
    MommySteph1011

Answer by MommySteph1011 at 1:53 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• well, as happy as hubby was living in our trailer, I bought a house. paid in cash. It's such a nice thing to not have rent or a house payment each month! sure as heck makes it easier each month. Also paid off the car.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 1:54 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• My husband and I share everything... what mine is his. So, if I got a large inheritance we would decide together what we would do with it... and I already know what we would do.... get out of debt and my hubby would go back to school!
    anyways, that how my marriage is.... we don't make decisions like that without both completely agreeing to it.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:56 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Well..i must say YES invest in a house...very good investment...And like i always say...the small stuff you can purchase with your paycheck..like designer bags...clothes and shoes...but when u run into a large lump some of money go BIG!!!
    TezMoM

Answer by TezMoM at 2:04 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I would buy the house anyway! Not only would it be a good investment, but I would be able to leave my children something. I couldn't imagine leaving my DH out of a major decision because we work very well together, however when it comes to our children I will definitely take matters into my own hands!
    JusNikki

Answer by JusNikki at 2:06 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I would buy a house or save it for my childrens' college education. My cousins got an inheritance when their mom died and one spent hers on college and the other bought tons clothes and a car. The one who wasted it on clothes now wishes she would have done like her sister.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 2:52 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Get a home then get the other needs...gl
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 6:46 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I just received a small inheritance last week. We used it to pay off my car and with the money that we save from having a car payment, we will use that towards paying off other debt and once we are debt free, then I would like to start my own business. If I had a large inheritance then I would either pay off/buy a house, pay down any debt, and go on a nice vacation.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:37 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• These days I'd make sure I saved most of it. We will be getting a large sum from a lawsuit by the end of the year and we will pay off all our bills, do a bit of remodeling and SAVE the rest for retirement.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:06 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Either buy a house or invest it for later (college funds, retirement); don't piddle it away on little stuff. A significant inheritance can give you financial security. Clothes, appliances and the like cannot.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 10:53 AM on Aug. 16, 2010