ugh... the stuff on TV now days is just HORRIBLE adult content

I have two children, an almost 7 yr old daughter and an almost 4 yr old son! My daughter is a sponge... my son is too but my daughter is a super sponge and asks a million questions about everything she hears or sees! UGH!!! The other day she was watching TV and I guess she was flipping through the channels... she stopped on the movie monster in law, well there was a girl in the tub talking on the phone about her missing her soon to be husband, saying that she misses him especially since she is naked and wet and naked.... UGH.... my daughter asked why she missed him when she was naked...? What in the world do I tell her? I just told her I dont know why... maybe cause he washes her clothes and she was out of clothes! LOL Im not a quick thinker when Im asked questions like that... I mean seriously... what would you say?

sxc_mom_of2

Asked by sxc_mom_of2 at 2:06 AM on Aug. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• I agree! Even the commercials are at BEST PG13! I have a 7 year old too and I really have to be careful. She doesn't ask a whole lot of questions, which I wonder if that is actually worse - she may be making her OWN conclusions and that's even more frightening!! As a mom we should be as honest as possible, but I think you did well in that situation!! Quick thinking is not my strong point either, so it's hard for me to give you an answer, but at least I wanted to say I totally agree and understand where you are coming from!
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 2:11 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• We don't have cable so we are able to pick and choose what comes on. Not saying that is an option for you and your family. But TV really has no shame anymore, does it?
    bubsiclesmom

Answer by bubsiclesmom at 2:16 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• LOL.... Well and the thing is.... people are wondering why children are getting pregnant at younger ages.... I would have to say that TV is a big help! I mean when Im 26yrs old now but when I was a kid, the simpsons was the worst thing on tv and they arent nearly as bad as some of the things I see now days! Ugh!!! Its making parenting harder and its influencing kids to "grow up" faster! Its quite annoying! But like you said we do need to be as honest as possible and hope that, that is enough!
    thanks, now I feel Im not alone on this! :)
    sxc_mom_of2

Comment by sxc_mom_of2 (original poster) at 2:16 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• it doesnt! I cannot believe how much it has changed... how horrible it actually is now!
    sxc_mom_of2

Comment by sxc_mom_of2 (original poster) at 2:18 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I agree. It was horrible. We got rid of our cable too. Now we watch Netflix, Hulu, or I stream shows like True Blood or other favorites through my computer when the kids are asleep. They watch whatever is in the DVD cabinet or every now and then I let them watch a Netflix movie. We missed cable at first, but not so much anymore.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:20 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I agree that it's horrible what is on tv. Luckily we have parental controls that block certain channels and anything rated over G so if my kids happen to be watching when I'm not in the room, they are less likely to run into anything like that.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 2:48 AM on Aug. 16, 2010