Im sure this is a very common question but Im curious! adult content

When do you think is a good time to tell your children about sex? How much should you tell them and how do you tell them exactly?

sxc_mom_of2

Asked by sxc_mom_of2 at 2:09 AM on Aug. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think my mom told me about 7 or 8...and it started because I had been hearing things from other kids at school and I started developing. I think she just asked me if I knew where babies came from and when I said not really, she then told me how. I think the best time is whenever you feel your child is old enough to understand what you are saying or when they start having questions or curiousities themselves.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 2:13 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Yeah! My parents never told me... I had to hear it from someone else! Ugh!!!! I dont want that to happen to my kids! My daughter who is 7 knows how the babies come out, but isnt sure how they get in there yet, but I know that question is sneaking up around the corner soon! So Im just trying to prepare myself for that moment!
    sxc_mom_of2

Comment by sxc_mom_of2 (original poster) at 2:17 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I think "the talk" should be age appropriate. I recently had a baby a two months ago, and my 4 year old asked me where do babies come from and I simply told her from mommy's tummy. You don't have to be embarrassed or ashamed to talk to your children about sex... it's life. Another thing, I don't nick name their private parts my 7 year old knows he has a penis and my 4 year old knows she has a vagina and they know that it is a time and a place to say those words, especially with pervs targeting children they need to be able to say what area was touched if and when it may happen and I don't want my children to victims.
    JusNikki

Answer by JusNikki at 2:19 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• my brother in law taught his girls to call their vagina their "cookie" ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I mean seriously? NOT GOOD! UGH!!!!
    My kids know that they have their privates... their pee pee, is what we call them! It works for us. The way I was brought up it was my privates, my mom hated the word vagina, so it was privates... I think that calling them names like COOKIE, is WRONG! What are some parents thinking? I just dont know. But privates or penis and vagina work well.... I do not agree with nick naming private parts! UGH!!!
    sxc_mom_of2

Comment by sxc_mom_of2 (original poster) at 2:27 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• My kids are teens. The "sex talk" isn't something that we had, in the sense of sitting down and telling them everything they need to know. Instead, sex talks have been something that's been ongoing as the opportunities, questions, etc came up. We've always been very honest and matter of fact about it, because we didn't want them to think it was some big taboo subject.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:46 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• It sucks because kids will learn it the ugly way at school..no matter how u tell em they always find out elsewhere...I guess when she's 10
    Leilene07

Answer by Leilene07 at 2:51 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I have the same question. How much information do u actually tell them.
    Avon_Girlie

Answer by Avon_Girlie at 4:24 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I always went with the rule that if they were old enough to ask, they were old enough to get an honest answer - so that's how much I told them. Like, when my dd was 7 and she found my tampons and was asking what they were for, I explained it to her - but not in a way that was all scary or anything. When my ds was little, and he was all freaked out because "Mommy, when I got up, my penis was hard" - I explained that it was ok, that sometimes when a boy or a man wakes up, their penis is hard because your blood starts moving and you get extra blood in it. I explained to him that it was normal and nothing to worry about.

When they were 4 and 5 and a friend was having a baby, they asked how babies were made. I told them that God give grownups special parts so that when they want to make a baby, they put those parts together and a baby grows inside the Mommy. They asked what parts, and I told them dna and chromosomes ;-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:22 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• First I have always used proper body part names with my kids no matter the age. , As sad as his may sound as soon as the child starts school without getting into great detail is a good ime to start telling them about bad ouch good touch ( there are books out there for young children to help guide you) It is so sad but there are so many sick people out there who could care less if your child is 2 ,5, 8, or 16 if they are s sex offender they will find your child . Bus driers , teachers , other kids. I taught my kids early on and I was Blessed they felt secure enough to always come to me when they felt uncomfortable around someone.
    SCMomof2kids

Answer by SCMomof2kids at 8:23 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• we talk about stranger danger/good/nad touch by 3, and sex talk I would say 10!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:06 AM on Aug. 16, 2010