I plan to use whole milk for my 1 yr old up to 4 years old then 2 % upto 9 then low fat up! Do you?

My mother seems to think by giving babies 1 % low fat milk will make them less obese as they get older. My personal argument is that children need that fat that comes from whole milk. I also am nursing my 1 yr old but I don't make much, she drinks about 4-6 ounces of breast milk a day.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:11 AM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I stopped at 2 years. I was always told kids need full fat milk after they turn one and that is usually for only a year. For both of my boys, my WIC stopped whole milk after they turned two.
    bubsiclesmom

Answer by bubsiclesmom at 2:12 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• My docs office recommends whole until age 2 and then 2% or skim.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:12 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I breastfed DD till 2, now (2.5) she drinks skim or 1%.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 2:13 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Thank you :)
    Hesmynavyman

Answer by Hesmynavyman at 2:13 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I hate to tell you that your mother is right in this case. Kids do need the extra fat from whole milk for brain development, but only until age 2. After 2 they should be on at least 2% or less. They need the calcium and vitamins but NOT the extra fat, and the lower fat milk offers the same of both of those things as whole milk does without the extra calories. My doc told me that even my 1 year old could go to 2% and didn't need that "extra fat", but I didn't agree with her on that one!
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 2:15 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• My pediatrician recommends 2percent at one because of the obesity issue too. I plan on continuing BF though
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:16 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• yes, I also give whole milk. I also think the fat in milk is beneficial, especially to the brain. My children are not anywhere near obese (YAY for playing outside and healthy eaters LOL) so I am not concerned.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 2:17 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Go with what the Doc says not mom
    hadassah1582

Answer by hadassah1582 at 2:23 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Our ped. recommended we switch to fat free at 2 so we did.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 2:43 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• She drinks anythin..I never saw a difference in her weight or development really
    Leilene07

Answer by Leilene07 at 2:49 AM on Aug. 16, 2010