If Obama's name wasn't Barack Hussein Obama; If it were for example John Jefferson Johnson would you still feel the same way about him?

plain and simple! would he be gettigthe scrutiny from peope that he's getting now about his religion? also do you think that race is playing a factor is some people's decision?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:52 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• You know I really wish I could say it wouldn't make a difference. But honestly I do wonder if some people would feel differently about him if his name was more 'American'. OH and I think race definitely does play a factor in some people's decisions, it's unfortunate but true. People who are saying I won't vote for him because he's Black. Why? What difference does it make?
    Anonymous

• I doubt so many people would be up in arms about it. However, there would be those people who cry out against the fact that he had a 'white' name.
    gypsysmiles

Answer by gypsysmiles at 12:55 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• LMAO! you're right about that!!!
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't care if his name was Ali Hussein Obama I would vote for him because he ahs the same principal that I do and I trust his judgement better than someone who chooses his running mate just to get the female vote.
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 12:59 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Nope I still wouldn't vote for him.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:01 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Yep! I'd still think he's awesome!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:02 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Well it isn't like he came out of the womb and told his mom what he wanted to be named. That was her decision. There isn't anything in a name. I won't vote for him because we don't share the same values and beliefs about what this country needs.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 1:05 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Yes - if his name was John Jefferson Johnson I still wouldn't be voting for him. I find it offensive that so many assume you can't *not* support Obama without it being for racial reasons. I don't agree with his proposed solutions and positions statements on too many issues. It doesn't really matter if some albino named John Smith held the same views and ideas - I still wouldn't think they were the ones I'd want to vote for.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:09 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• If all things were the same except his name.....yes I would feel the same was that I do now.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 1:10 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• OP, you have a very good point =] I can't wait to see how everyone tries to prove you wrong.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:10 PM on Oct. 7, 2008