Pregnant woman refused service when she ordered a glass of wine........

OMG! I just went to the CafeMom page on Facebook and saw a post about a woman(pregnant) being refused service when she ordered a glass of wine in a restaurant. I cannot explain how angry this made me!!!! Although it is any establishments "right to refuse service to anyone", if this had happened to me.........oh my, there would have been some extremely loud yelling going on at my table. And when I was satisfied that I had made my point, I would then have left and never gone back and would have bashed the restaurant all over town and the internet (basically every single medium I could possibly find). I also would have contacted their customer service/ corporate headquarters and spoke my mind to them as well, more than once!!!

truthteller0722

Asked by truthteller0722 at 2:29 AM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Ugh, it's not like she ordered a Jaegerbomb or something. I saw pregnant women drink wine all of the time when I was stationed in Italy. The navy doctors I worked with would not flat out say it was okay, but if the woman asked if she could have wine, he usually said a glass every now and then is fine.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:31 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I'm not much of a drinker so I don't feel the need to have even a glass while pregnant but I think if a woman wants to have a glass that should be HER decision... I know most Dr.'s say a glass here and there is fine and it's not illegal so who are they to tell her she can't have it? I'd refuse to sell her a pack of cigarettes long before I'd refuse to sell her a glass of wine!

I still go ice skating with DH and DD and if they (the rink) refused to let me skate because I'm pregnant I'd be PISSED. While ice skating may not be a good idea for most pregnant women, I can literally skate better than I can walk LOL, it should be MY choice to continue to skate or not.

Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 2:39 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I know the doctors say it is fine to have a glass of wine, but I just wouldn't have had the nerve to do it in public. The smell of alchol nauseated me when I was pregnant so this didn't come up for me. But if I wanted a glass of wine, I think I would have just had it at home. There is such a social stigma so I would not have even been able to enjoy the wine because I would feel like everyone was staring at me.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 2:39 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• It's ok to drink alcohol while pregnant? I never knew.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 2:41 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Thats crap!!!!
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 2:41 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I think that since it's not illegal they have no right to refuse her based on their personal opinions about having a dink while pregnant. I don't think women should eat sushi or drink diet sodas while pregnant, does that mean that as a server I would have the right or responsibility not refuse to serve them those things! I'm not going to force my beliefs on others... Where does the "right to refuse service" line end? Can I refuse to serve an obese pregnant woman a burger because I don't believe it's healthy to be obese and pregnant? Where does it become discrimination? Obviously someone can't refuse to serve someone based on their skin color... so how was this not discrimination of pregnant women?

Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 2:42 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• there is no harm in having a glass of wine every once in a while while pregnant. it's not ok to down hard liquor...there's a huge difference
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 2:44 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• if I was a waitress and she would ask me I would do it but in bak of my mind would b like wtf!!!!
    Some say its ok but I just dnt think anythin alcoholic is right 2 drink while prego

..I mean would u give ur kids a glass of wine ..I mean is it the same thing?
    Leilene07

Answer by Leilene07 at 2:45 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

Leilene07

Answer by Leilene07 at 2:46 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I think a woman drinking while pregnant is not a good look for anyone. I don't see it as discrimination, just their right.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:48 AM on Aug. 16, 2010