Matthew 8:28-34, Mark 5:1-13 and also in Luke.

PLEASE only those who believe the Bible to be the living word of God. Why do these seem different? I hope that makes sense. I am looking for answers about this account of demon possession. They seem to be talking about the same account but are they?

crazymom21

Asked by crazymom21 at 2:56 AM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• These are three separate views of the SAME account. However i DO find it quite odd that Matthew saw TWO men but Mark and Luke saw only ONE. What is actually funny to me are the accounts of the reasons why the people asked Jesus to leave because they were afraid. I heard(and it made sense) that although the Jews did not eat pork, they sure SOLD it to the Gentiles, and Jesus, by sending the demons into the herd of swine who ran down the hill and drowned themselves in the water--ruined their profit that they were going to make off those hogs--so the Jews were PISSED!! and told him to get out of there for THAT reason alone!! Makes more sense than "they were afraid".
    As far as it being the same account IMO YES it is. Just told from three different viewpoints-and the name of the town is different too, so they may not have gotten it down correctly, but too many details are the same for it to be different occurences.
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 3:54 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Matthew (tax collector) well educated man knew Jesus personally. He was 1 of the disciples. He was able to give more detail information. Mark & Luke did not know Jesus personally but Mark's mother did. Mark was a teenage and had an opportunity to see Jesus occasionally. Luke a doctor gave up his practice to travel with and be taught by Paul. I believe all 3 accounts are true.
    RidingPink

Answer by RidingPink at 6:15 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• it makes sense that the same account would be told differently by different people. it happens all the time.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:38 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• The two places is the same place, just two different words for the town/country. Oftentimes a place will have two different names because of the many different cultures and religions living in that same city. For instance, in English we say "Germany" but there it's called "Deutschland" but it's all the same place. Matthew might have just known the place as "the country of the Gergesenes" and Mark and Luke knew it as "the country of the Gadarenes". But it's recorded as the same place.
    My husband's explanation of one versus two is that only one man's demons came out and was changed. Matthew is known to just record facts, and then you take from it what you will. Mark and Luke recorded what was important. Nobody needed to know there were two men, because it wasn't important to the story. Maybe the other man ran away and didn't get the demons out. I don't know, but the three accounts are of the same event.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 1:19 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Good idea. I never took that into consideration---
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 4:15 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• and if you find out none of this turn out to be real?

not sure what you mean. Find out what? turn out to be real?
    RidingPink

Answer by RidingPink at 10:26 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• So from what you are saying the question here is why Matthew saw two and Mark/Luke saw one?
    crazymom21

Comment by crazymom21 (original poster) at 3:58 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Okay tell me what do you think of this idea. Since the account was told from 3 perspectives that its showing how demons can distort our views. Matthew saw two because the demon wanted him to and then Mark and Luke saw one and who it was bc that is what they wanted them to see. That is why the details like the swine and being cast out are the same? God is showing us through these men how deceptive the devil and his minions can be?
    crazymom21

Comment by crazymom21 (original poster) at 4:07 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• We came across these questions in my sunday school class. We all agree to think about it and come up with ideas to what it could mean. I think this is what I will bring up next meet. Thank you so much for you view :)
    crazymom21

Comment by crazymom21 (original poster) at 4:20 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• You already KNOW why they seem different. Because they are stories told by people who never actually witnessed the act from accounts by people who couldn't really remember what they saw. Once the men who wrote it went to write it down, it was too late. Witnesses were very old or dead. The story had been passed down within families and, like many urban legends, facts within the story changed over time. That's the scary part of mythology. You can get it to say anything you want. Make it bigger. Make it smaller. Men wrote these gospels. And men are not perfect.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:33 PM on Aug. 16, 2010