"God"parent?

Why do we say this? Where did it come from?

crazymom21

Asked by crazymom21 at 3:33 AM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Religious Debate

• A Godparent is the one who is supposed to raise the child should something happen that takes both the parents, such as an automobile accident, etc. The Godparent's duties are to oversee the child's religious upbringing, but not ENFORCE but persuade the parents to "do the right thing". The Godparent provides help if they are able to when they see that the child is lacking something--and sometimes even provide help with funds for th child's education if they are able. They buy Christmas presents,& birthday gifts, too THAT is WHY they are called a Godparent--kind of like having an angel/mentor in your child's life.
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 4:04 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Here's a bump since I can't answer this! GL! <3
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 3:46 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godson
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 3:49 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• the god paent is supposed to enforce religion and make sure the god child is attending church and stuff...
    pinkebabii

Answer by pinkebabii at 3:37 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• That makes sense :)
    crazymom21

Comment by crazymom21 (original poster) at 3:46 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Okay that all makes sense. Thank you ladies!
    crazymom21

Comment by crazymom21 (original poster) at 4:10 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• we do not have a god parent concept in Islam. When i was catholic. I did not baptize my sons because in my heart i just didn't believe in it. I was asked to be god parent to a child once.. but in my heart i did not want to do it. i did it because i felt obligated and afterward i found myself repenting to God... about 6 years later i reverted to islam. it made me thankful that i didn't baptize my sons.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 4:28 AM on Aug. 16, 2010