16 month old starting daycare!!! :S

My Dd will be 16 months in a few days, and I finally got the call that said my job came through and I'll be starting within the next week. So, my question is, how to make the transition from home care to daycare easier for my Dd. I've talked to her about starting daycare, and gone over some rules with her for it (you won't be able to hit the kids at daycare and whatnot). She does understand a lot. I talk it up to her a lot and tell her there will be a lot of kids there for her to play with and that there will be stairs she's allowed to climb (she can't climb the one's at home) and I've even started playing music at naptime like they do and having her lay on a mat like they will. Is there anything else I can do to make it easier for her? She'll be going all day long, I'm not sure if I'll be able to transition her into it either, because I'll get my job before she'll actually have a slot open at daycare.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:58 AM on Aug. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would try and visit the daycare at least once before she starts. Introduce her to the teachers and let her get a feel for the environment. Make a BIG deal about it when you go, talk about how great and special the school is and how exciting that it is that she is now a big girl and going to a special school. Make it very positive.

Also, on her first day, leave her with something to remember you. A picture of you and her would be nice and have the teacher put it up on the wall. The day you drop off, don't linger forever, say goodbye and then leave. The lingering tends to upset them even more. Send your child with their own blanket and stuffed animal to make naptime easier. It will be hard at first but it will get easier as the days go on. Good luck!
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 11:28 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Well there is little time to really transition. I personally would have started a few weeks ago by sending her to daycare a few times a week, so if issues did arise you could properly handle it and it not interfere with work.

GL!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 6:03 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• good luck
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:32 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Sounds like you are doing all you can, especially using the music and mat. Make it a positive experience and take one day at a time. you will get feedback from the staff once she is there too. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:40 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I would go there with her the first day for two-three hours. Then starting NOW about a week before starting work send her 2-3 days (the same amount of time she would normal be going). This way if you decide you don't like the daycare you still have a bit of time to switch and you can get your home, wardrobe and organizational systems ready to begin work again.
    lmt_mom2010

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 9:37 AM on Aug. 16, 2010