How many onesies do you need?

How many onesies do you need for a newborn/infant? What sizes did you use the most? I am a new mom getting ready for my baby and have found some great deals on ebay. I just don't want to get too many of the wrong size. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm a first time mom too =]
    I have a billion in every single size (family members donated theirs to me lol). I'd get more in 0-3 months and 3-6 months rather than preemie or newborn, since those tend to be much tinier. It's better to have your baby swimming for awhile in something than it being so tight the snaps don't work =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:09 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Lots in the smallest sizes. Diaper blowouts going all up their backs are common.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:34 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Lots and lots and lots! Get plenty of newborn, 3-6 & 6-9. There will be drool, spit up, blow outs, you will be changing onsies all day long. If you live in a cold climate, long sleeve onsies are very useful, especially when you want to bundle them up to sleep at night.
    Anonymous

• With my kids that didn't spit up a ton I started with 10 size 0-3. My others 30 of them.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 1:39 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• i had probably about 20 0-3 month onsies with my oldest one and it seemed like it still wasnt enough! between spit up and diaper blow outs, i went through about 10 a day!
    catngabsmom

Answer by catngabsmom at 1:41 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• You need as many as your drawers can fit! My daughter lived in onesies for a while. It seemed there were never enough. We also started with the newborn, 0-3 month size. We still use onesies now at 2 years and I still love them.
    alysmommy0909

Answer by alysmommy0909 at 2:05 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• when i was pregnant everyone knew i was having a big baby... sure enough 22 inches long and almost ten lbs, butwhat was so weird, was i had planned with started 3 month, but when we got home, i am so glad that i had two nb sizes, cause he needed them for about three weeks. He's 3 months old today and he's in size 3-6 in some stuff and 6-9 in others. But i would say 6 is a good amount. But once they get into the 3mos and larger, you might need more, cause thats when spitting up and drooling really come on hand. Good luck!!!
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 2:14 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• How often can you do laundry? How big were you when you were born? My babies were 7 1/2 lbs at birth. So the 7-10 lbs. size (which I think is 0-3 months) only fit for 3 weeks. I would get as many 3-6 months as you can and maybe just a couple of 0-3 months for specail days like the trip home and visitor days. It doesn't matter if their feet don't go to the end when they can't crawl or walk and won't be tripping over a little extra fabric. But it really depends on the size of your baby. Expect to use about 3 outfits a day cause they leak out of both ends. So how often can you do laundry?
    older_mom

Answer by older_mom at 4:14 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I think it depends on the baby, so just get a few to start with and then see what else you need. My baby never spits up, has only had a blow out 2 times ever so he usually only has one outfit on for the day. He was pretty small when he was born, so he wore newborn sizes for a long time, he is 12 weeks old today and he weighs 14 lbs and 24 inches long and still fits in most of his newborn onesies.He also is wearing 0-3 month ones and a few larger ones in 3-6 month that he can grow with over the winter months. I would try to find long sleeve ones though.. we have a ton short sleeved ones but now that it's getting cold he can't wear many of them unless he has a jacket on.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:58 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• One thing to consider is the weather. I live in Michigan and my babies were born in the late fall. I never even used short sleeve onesies on them as newborns, they all went to waste, it was just too cold for them, and I thought they were too bulky and too much of a hassle underneath other clothes at that stage. I did use them under shirts and pajamas in the winter when they got a little older and bigger though. As far as what size to get that can be confusing. My son was 7.5 lbs at birth and started outgrowing 0-3 month clothes by 1 month old. My daughter was 8 lbs at birth and wore them for months. She is almost 11 months old now and still in 3-6 and 6-9 month clothes. However, if your buying them cheap on Ebay I wouldn't worry to much about it. You could always get some of the smaller ones, see how much you are using them and buy more later if you aren't sure.
    JenEliBella

Answer by JenEliBella at 10:39 PM on Oct. 7, 2008