Should I homeschool my child with severe food allergies?

Ok so my son Josh is allergic to so many things it is horrible. He is allergic to corn, oats, wheat, milk, fish, shell fish, peanuts, strawberries, chocolate, lemon, and so forth. It doesn't just boil down to him eating them either. Someone could be wearing strawberry lotion and he would get sick. I am so nervous as he starts school this year and I am worried about him being tired all the time, unable to focus due to his allergies and meds and everything in between. Do you think i should just homeschool him for the first year or two?

JuJubean1979

Asked by JuJubean1979 at 8:21 AM on Aug. 16, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i think you should seek alternative therapies for the allergies. i would see a homeopath for sure. the school will do tons to keep your boy safe, but those are a lot of allergies...how severe are they? this is a tough situation. exposure in school could help him with his sensitivities and allergies, and then it could be too much too. i wish you the best of luck mama!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:45 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Thanks sweetie. I know it's so overwhelming. His allergies range from one day it could be just sneezing to stuffy feeling and other times its worse. I don't know. I think I will try it out and see you know? He is ready and so is momma lol
    JuJubean1979

Comment by JuJubean1979 (original poster) at 8:49 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Choosing to homeschool is a personal choice. Sure you can get bunch of strangerz to say yay or nay on the issue based on their own personal basis and experience toward homeschooling and/or public schooling. If you are seriously considering homeschooling as a option for your family, then you need to read up on YOUR state laws. (Every state has it's own laws). See if you are comfortable with the law and can follow the law. If homeschooing after that is still a possibility then you should sit down think about your goals, what you want to accomplish, and how much you are willing to SPEND on books, materials, etc. We homeschooling and I spend about $300 in books PLUS additional $100-200 on field trips, co-op classes, classes at the local museums, etc. to homeschool my 2 kids. I know parents that spend triple what I do and parents that spend less.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 8:56 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• SOunds like yall are ready :)
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 4:25 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Homeschooling takes a lot of time, patience and dedication. I always vote yes to homeschool. :)
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 10:04 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Honestly the choice is yours in the end. Before you made any choices you have to think about it for the long run... Home schooling him because of the alleriges aren't going to make them go away. So in a year or two when he goes to school, they'll still be there. On the flip side he'll be older, more understanding..

Home school takes alot of him, & effort, my brother was homeschooled due to alot of medical problems & he hated it. He had no social life, on the same side he was friggin smart, with nothing else to do.

Look into your choices, met with the school, see what they can do to help him, if thats the choice you make.

Talk to him & see what his feelings are. If you let him go to school this year, there is no rule saying you can't take him out to be a home schooled child...

lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 12:22 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• *Time. No Him. Sorry
    lilmoosesmom

• Oh I know his allergies won't be any better. I think he is ready. I am just having a hard time with letting him out of my reach lol.
    JuJubean1979

Comment by JuJubean1979 (original poster) at 1:42 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• You could consider a virtual academy as an alternative to both PS and HS. Often your district will offer the classes or you can go with one of the other free options such as Connectionsacademy.com or K-12.com
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 5:56 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• i think depending on how severe his allergies get and how willing the school is to work with yall on them, home schooling might be the safer option but with outside activities where he wouldnt be so enclosed with the issues of his allergy. i know that the zoo where i'm from does home school only days and activities. if you choose to go that route, i would look into places like that for outside learning. good luck!
    sweetpeatexas21

Answer by sweetpeatexas21 at 6:18 PM on Aug. 17, 2010