Why are border agents killing themselves?

FORT HANCOCK, Texas – After a bad day on the job as a Border Patrol agent, Eddie DeLaCruz went home and began discussing with his wife how to celebrate her upcoming birthday. Then he casually pressed his government-issued handgun under his chin and pulled the trigger.

"It was the ugliest sound I ever heard in my life," his widow, Toni DeLaCruz, recalled of that day last November. "He just collapsed."

A month later, one of DeLaCruz's colleagues at the Fort Hancock border post put a bullet through his head, too.

Suicides including these have set off alarm bells throughout the agency responsible for policing the nation's borders. After nearly four years without a single suicide in their ranks, border agents are killing themselves in greater numbers. Records obtained by The Associated Press show that at least 15 agents have taken their own lives since February 2008 — the largest spike in suicides the agency

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 8:22 AM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree with Steph.

I don't think anyone likes the idea of having to enforce borders, regardless of how you feel about immigration, in the same way that nobody wants to go to war, unless they feel it is necessary.

Hearing the debate in the news is difficult and listening to the media describe border control efforts as ineffective surely affects your self esteem as we are all defined by what we do.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 9:47 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I dunno, may not be related at all or it could be a syndrome similar to what our men and women encounter after coming home from being at war. It IS a war they fight. Maybe not quite as much killing but a war none the less. It's a horrible war involving drugs, cartels, kidnappings, killings and mostly a mental war between themselves and 2 governments. One who can't do anything and one who won't.
    Unfortunately, as in most suicide cases it's lack of asking for help. You don't commit suicide unless you are depressed and mentally unstable. Others may not realize it but the affected needs to ask for help or they can spiral out of control. Their depression is really no different than others, It just has a different catalyst.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:42 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Oh my!
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 8:23 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• That's terrible. But in this particular case--DelaCruz's--the fact that he shot himself IN FRONT OF his wife like that leads me to believe that he may have been a highly disturbed individual and that may have more to do with his suicide than anything pertaining to his job. I mean seriously--why would you traumatize your wife that way unless you were either A) trying to get at her, like SHE was the reason you were offing yourself or B) just completely unhinged, totally off your rocker.
    Also, is it just my perception, or are suicides up in general?
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:42 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Oh wow. That's crazy.
    reigndrops12689

Answer by reigndrops12689 at 9:09 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Perhaps the fact that some of these men are of Hispanic decent, they have an inordanate amount of guilt by keeping fellow Hispanics from enjoying the same freedoms they enjoy because they are hear legally. I really don't know. Sad, very very sad.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:21 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 8:22 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Sorry, in case I was unclear in the last line of my reply, I meant that it seems the suicide rate in the general population is rising.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:44 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• itsmesteph,,,

Do you think its a form of PTSD?

Is it more pressure that all eyes seem to be on the border issue??

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 8:45 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Suicides including these have set off alarm bells throughout the agency responsible for policing the nation's borders. After nearly four years without a single suicide in their ranks, border agents are killing themselves in greater numbers. Records obtained by The Associated Press show that at least 15 agents have taken their own lives since February 2008 — the largest spike in suicides the agency has seen in at least 20 years

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 8:59 AM on Aug. 16, 2010