Why the increase in attacks against Mexicans?

NEW YORK – When Rodolfo Olmedo was dragged down by a group of men shouting anti-Mexican epithets and bashed over the head with a wooden stick on the street outside his home, he instinctively covered his face to keep from getting disfigured. Blood filled his mouth.

"I wanted to scream, but I couldn't because of the beating they were giving me," said the 25-year-old baker. Nearly five months later, he is still taking pain medications for his head injuries.

Recorded by a store's surveillance camera, the assault was the first of 11 suspected anti-Hispanic bias attacks in a Staten Island neighborhood, re-igniting years-old tensions between blacks and Hispanics in New York City's most remote borough.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_staten_island_attacks

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 8:24 AM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• i don't see how anyone can blame mexicans on a failing economy....a lot of mexicans come here and don't even have social security numbers or anything and they are able to get out and find a job...how is this? Yet you see white people standing on corners holding signs begging? Are they not as capable of getting out and finding a job as a mexican person? I'm sure these white people even have social security numbers. Why is it you never see a mexican begging?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:54 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I live in what our area calls Little Mexico. Let me tell ya, in this area the Hispanic communtiy is humble, clean, respectful and friendly for the most part. I enjoy the Hispanic flavor we live in. I have not heard of such beatings...that is really sad. There are however some in this area...not Mexican I could sure live without.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:18 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• It's happening more because of all the scare tactics being used to support that stupid law in Arizona. They are trying to scare people into agreeing with the law. The only reason they want the new law is to make money. Keep scaring the public and things like this happens.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 11:28 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I live in an area with a high Mexican population. I've noticed that as the economy gets worse, the division between the whites, blacks, and Mexicans seems to be widening. My guess is that it's because they are blamed in part for the failing economy. (Receiving services and they are illegal, lots of media coverage on the topic, etc.) When times are tough, it's natural to look to someone (or some group) to blame, justly or not.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:34 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Why is it going on? Because of the economy and the illegal immigration debates going on right now.

Most people aren't involved enough to pick apart a news story and find out all the details. They hear "problems with illegal immigration," "illegal immigrants taking citizens jobs," and it becomes a short jump to "that guy shouldn't be here and took my job, I'm mad, so let's beat his azz."

People are angry and need someone to blame. I see it getting worse, not better, if they don't complete some immigration reform soon, and do something that REALLY gets the economy back on track...
    not like the signs that are up in Jersey "paid for by the stimulus program", and NO NEW work has been done.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:14 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• guess is that it's because they are blamed in part for the failing economy. (Receiving services and they are illegal, lots of media coverage on the topic, etc.) I have to say, I live in a County with a huge Latino population, many of them work in the fields harvesting the fruits and vegetables and various vinos that grace many tables in the US. How these folks would be targeted for the failing economy is beyond on me. Further, when I drive by these coastal fields and witness the work at hand, I would certainly never be able to discern who was legal vs the converse. A hard working group of people, period. How could one tell if another was receiving services? Just an assumption?

Lack of education and resources and an abundance of time, all indicators that one is likely NOT working or doing anything constructive with one's life are major contributors, imo.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:54 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• you are on a roll this morning :o)
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 8:25 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I don't think it's a widespread thing. I haven't heard anything to the fact here in TX.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:53 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• The theory that I have heard and agree with is that in general, Hispanics are targeted because they are less likely to go to the police if they are robbed or beaten (especially depending on where you are in the country, if there is a high likelihood that the person committing the crime thinks that the victim is an illegal - they are not likely to call law enforcement), and also if a criminal is looking for a victim they will target someone they think will be carrying cash (if robbery is the purpose), and it is assumed that illegals get paid in cash / carry cash so that their finances aren't tracked by banks / feds.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:56 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I understand that, and it's horrible that it happens. I am not advocating the racial slurs, I am just stating (like the article), that robbery is the motive and it's likely that they pick their victims by sorting out those that have a higher likelihood to try to find their perpetrators.

I say charge them with robbery, assault and hate crimes if they think they can get them on all of the charges.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:14 AM on Aug. 16, 2010