Would you do this?

My kids start school (I work there) on Thursday. My brother is getting married on Saturday and all my kids are in the wedding! We are missing school Friday in order to go up and help my Mom with the rehearsal dinner and so the kids will be there in time. I have had some people tell me that they think it's awful of me to do! I feel it's important for me to help my Mom and the kids to participate. It won't kill them to miss 1 day of school! What would you do?

School never starts this early here, so that is why my brother set the date when they did! ;)

KamiB79

Asked by KamiB79 at 8:25 AM on Aug. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• i would let them miss a day of school. it will not be the end of the world!!!! i wouldn't feel bad about it either! it seeems like it would be even easier to miss because you work there and the teachers know you. who had perfect attendance, and did it give you any advantages in school...or life for that matter?
    go enjoy your family and make great memories that will last a lifetime : )
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:38 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• i think personally that school comes before anything else. i personally would feel it would set a bad precident with my children to take them out of school for anything that was not a serious medical situation
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 8:27 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• The 1st couple of weeks of school are important. Its not a good idea to have them absent on the 2nd day of school.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:29 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• i wouldnt want to miss the first week of school..i'd be pissed. I've even moved my sons doctor appt to later in sept so he wouldnt miss one day of the first week.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:31 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I wouldn't. and a 4 hour drive can be done after they leave school on Friday. I am sure the family will understand the need for children to be in school.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:33 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Missing one day is definitely not gonna hurt them. Especially the second day- not too much really going on yet. Just make sure you talk to the teachers & get any information, homework, etc. that they are gonna miss. A wedding is a big family event. It's a lot of work & important for the family to be together. I wouldn't hesitate a minute to take the day off & go help out with things. Do what you feel is best & don't worry about what others think about it. Best wishes...
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 8:41 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• This is allegedly a ONE-TIME only event. I would take them out. We took our DD out of school in February for a 2 week trip to Israel and Egypt which is also one of those once-in-a-lifetime opportunities.
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 8:42 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I am a teacher
    I would completely understand if one of my students missed for this reason.
    School is important, but so is family.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:56 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I would let them, while school is important so is family!
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 9:00 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Despite what others have said, the first week of school is a joke. No point in fretting over it. My mom let me miss school if I asked her if I could.. and I remained a straight A student and graduated in the top 10%.... missing school doesn't kill kids... it actually gives them a bit of a break!
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 9:02 AM on Aug. 16, 2010