When we die, do we immediately go to Heaven or hell?

Or does our soul sit and wait on a particular day of judgement? The bible says that the dead will rise first then the rest of us will be changed in a twinkling of an eye. Why would the dead need to rise if they are already "present with the Lord"?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 9:11 AM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I believe all souls go directly to God in heaven upon death. I don't believe in hell.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:14 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• The Bible teaches that the spirits and souls of saved people go directly to be with the Lord. At the final resurrection, it says that bodies will be raised and rejoined witht he spirits and souls. I don't think the Bible says where the unsaved go immediately upon death. It just says that they will spend eternity in hell, which is a place of torment and separation from God. There will be two separate judgments, the Bible teaches--one for believers in the Lord Jesus Christ and one for unbelievers.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:20 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I hope me and my kids go to heaven.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 9:26 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Nobody knows
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 9:38 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Our spirit goes to be with the Lord immediately but our bodies lay in the ground.
    The bible says right now we are already seated in the heavenly places. Our spirit is already there present with Him.
    Time is very different in Heaven than it is here.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:33 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I don't believe in an afterlife.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 1:01 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I have a christian friend who believes that what I call the Other Side is just a holding place for souls waiting for Jesus' return. Some psychics describe heaven and hell as places of learning, and places where you can have whatever version of heaven is yours. If you work hard and earn it. I think that the sea of white light, the universal conciousness, the godforce is all that there is and all that a disembodied soul would need. The Cosmos is yours to travel and investigate. You can have the companionship of Jesus, or Buddha, or Yahweh, or whoever you want. I think that the primitive men who wrote the bible could not understand the concept of the soul as an entity separate from the physical body. They felt that, someday, they would have to be given new physical bodies to hold their souls. But, I think that, once free of it, the last thing I will want is a new body! And Jesus isn't coming back because he never was.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:09 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• And Jesus isn't coming back because he never was.

Because He never was.... what?
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 2:40 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I believe "absent form the body, present with the Lord".

zbee

Answer by zbee at 3:09 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

Because He never was.... what? Comment by 35yoamom

Never was real, sweetie. He never was real.  You have to have existed before you can "come back" from anywhere.

witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 8:32 PM on Aug. 16, 2010