am i the only mom that does not believe in step parenting?

i grew up with an evil step father seriously physically and mentally abusive to all i find it hard to believe another person can love youre child and respect them like you do. if my relationship doesnt work i will raise my son alone i owe him a good life plus you can date without involving youre kids. i believe their needs are number 1.

danahake

Asked by danahake at 1:24 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in General Parenting

• my mom let my step dad parent us us and i didnt mind i was already 13 and my ways were set no matter who stepped in but in my opinion if my boyfriend and i dont work out after my daughters a certin age i would never let another man displin my child. if theres a problem that i cant handle thats for me and her real father to discuss. men who arent rightfully the parents of a child can be ignorant and cold && i would lay that rule down as soon as i meet someone new. my kids are my kids not yours. the only way id make an exception to this was if my child was still a baby and grew up knowing only the new man as her father.
    Anonymous

• While you are certainly entitled to your beliefs and opinions, not all stepfamilies turn out like yours. One of the reasons I married my husband was to better meet my children's needs, not because their needs were not number one. We both love each other's children dearly even if not exactly the same as our own and treat them all fairly and equally and we agree on child rearing practices.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:27 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• My husband loves my daughter from a previous relationship as much as he loves his own son. And if deep down inside he really doesnt love her that much he shows her and me that he does. He treats both kids 100% equally. I am sorry you grew up with an awful step-parent. I had a step mom that I love and adore! She has always been really good to me.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 1:30 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I agree with riotgrrrl. I would not have married him if he didnt treat my daughter with the upmost respect. He agrees that the kids always come first no matter what. My daughters biological father is not involved very much. He sees her about once a month. But he has never taken her to the park or given her a bath or bought her a toy. He didnt supply diapers or clothes or a roof over her head. I dont even think he deserves the title dad. My husband does all of these things for her all of the time. You can see the joy in his face when my daughter says "I love you" to him.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 1:35 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Let me tell you, my daddy is (only) my stepfather. I love him more than i could ever love my bio-father. I do not have any kind of relationship to my bio-father and do not want it. My stepfather is (imo) the best father a child can think of. He is the perfect husband for my mom and the perfect dad for me and my brother. Not all step-parents are bad. I'm glad I got my dad (even tho we are not related by blood - our hearts are) :)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 2:17 PM on Oct. 7, 2008