has anyone had any experience taking care of advanced stages alzheimers patients? if so howdid u deal with it

plain0me63

Asked by plain0me63 at 1:24 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Health

• My grandfather had this...for 12 years. It was the hardest thing the family has had to go through. But because we loved him so much we all chipped in and did everything we had to do. He had to have a hospital bed (eventually) brought in because it got so bad his body started to deteriorate. But sometimes you can get a glimpse of the person you once knew in them and it makes it all worth it....we had to cover the mirrors with paper because he would to the man he saw (himself) and tell him to get out his house or he would shoot him..so then we had to take all his guns (for hunting) and hide those and things like that. We didn't want to subject him to the abuse that is so commonly found in adult homes so we just did what we could. I wish you good luck and you are in my prayers because I know how awful and painful that can be.
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 1:48 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• i work at a nursing home in a alzeimers ward!! in advanced stages u dont wanna tell them certain things it will only upset them!! and will take a while to calm them down.. if they keep asking the same ?'s over and over tell them the truth and use the same answer, or u could try to redirect them, my grandma is in advance stage of alseimers and she will think my son is my uncle and that i am my mom if i go alone...she is not stupid so never treat them like they are!! always answer honestly and comfort them if they get upset!! most of the time they will for get what they were talking about!!
    message me if u have any ?'s i prob didnt answer this one too well
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 3:21 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• my dad has alzheimers and my mom and i take care of him.. some days are so hard..sometimes he doent know my kids.. sometimes he wants to go home.. where eevr that is..today he thot the police were coming to get him for the murder he commited.. he didnt of course..we've already taken the guns out of the house.. i keep their car at my house cos hes always wanting to drive.. its veru hard.. and thank u navywifemomkoch.. if u dont mind im gonna add u as a friend cos i will have lots of questions..
    plain0me63

Answer by plain0me63 at 8:38 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• thank u both so much.. its very hard for me and i spend alot of time at home crying and praying.. i try my hardest to always make him feel like everythings ok and what he does or says isnt bizarre or weirdin any way.. my main concern is that i help him preserve his dignity
    plain0me63

Answer by plain0me63 at 8:40 PM on Oct. 7, 2008