if someone invites you over

do you arrive with a gift for the host, be it food , drink or any other item ,ie. perfume or book? or do you go empty handed?

Aasiyah

Asked by Aasiyah at 9:24 AM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• usually I bring food unless its a formal event then maybe a bottle of wine
    lmt_mom2010

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 9:26 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Wine or sometimes flowers.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 9:26 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Usually I will ask the person if they want me to bring anything. If you know ahead of time that there is an occasion where you for sure will be eating a meal, I usually offer to bring either the appetizer or the dessert, something to at least pitch in. Or, if it's an evening thing, I usually bring a bottle of wine. I am not the type to always bring gifts for the person, unless it's someone I haven't seen in a while or there is an occasion for it (new baby, birthday, christmas etc).
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 9:26 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• i ask what woud they like me to bring and if they say nothing i bring them some small thing as a thank you
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 9:27 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I usually take a host/hotess gift. Generally a nice bottle of wine. It can be used for the evening or for another occasion of their choosing. Doesn't matter to me.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 9:29 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• it depends on why i'm coming over. not every visit warrants a 'gift'.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:30 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• It depends on the situation. If it is just a frendly day of hanging out then no. If it is for dinner or something then I judge it on the situation. Dinner, I ask WHAT I can bring... not if I need to. Party, I bring a gift. If it is just a get-together I ask if I need to bring anything.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 9:36 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Depends on the people. I would normally take a bottle of wine... but for you? Sparkling cider perhaps?
    Aslen

Answer by Aslen at 9:38 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Well it depends on the situation, usually not, unless you count a dish to pass as a gift
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 9:39 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• it depends on the situation.
    shorty13417

Answer by shorty13417 at 12:02 PM on Aug. 16, 2010