have you ever been in an "on again off again" relationship? how long did it go on for? and why?

I've had 2. My first bf from age 15-18..then we would still see each other every now and then to "hook up" idk what happend with him..he would just cheat really.

then my son's father age 18 - 23 we were always on again..off again and i finally cut him off completely when i started dating my dh. My son's father was just verbally abusive and lazy...i just always felt like i shouldve been with him for my son. I'm happy i found my son a real dad.

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 9:29 AM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Relationships

• no, life is too short to deal with that drama of on again off again. when i let go, i let go for good
    3xangel

Answer by 3xangel at 10:17 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• i had one of those a very long time ago. it was on and off for about 3 years. i finally cut him loose.. when i met a very nice man.. since then they have both died. Now i am muslim and married to a very nice muslim man for almost 4 years.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 9:39 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• yes it went on for 5 yrs. we both went out with other people in between but i knew we were never going to be an us. I found out he got a girl prego and said thats it. I am done and moved on he came back a few times and I just could not deal with him. he still lives in the same town and I see him in passing but I dont say anything to him. I cut him off for good.
    jdpsmom08

Answer by jdpsmom08 at 9:47 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I had 2. My first was a best friend.....we were great friends through college and eventually hooked up and started being intimate. But I wanted that relationship step he didn't. Then eventually I met my ex husband, and he was military so ran off to the other side of the country and married him. We only stayed in military for less than a year and he was chaptered out (domestic violence toward myself and his ex before me.....yeah stupid me). So we end up right back in our home town, which is still where the college was and my friend still. Of course my best friend was there for me through the abuse that continued till I got out of the marriage. But he did tell me one day his mom asked why he didn't settle down with me....blah blah blah. I was still married and that meant being faithful, although my husband wasn't. Had I known at the time I probably would've left the ex for my friend. But time heals and I ended with my hubby now.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:48 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• thats great =0)
    13liz13

Answer by 13liz13 at 9:30 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• only one that was a real relationship. we met and moved in together pretty quickly. he was talking marriage in a short time, then after maybe a year all of a sudden disappears back to his old house (where a bunch of his old roomies lived) and admitted he had been holding back alot of stuff on his mind and didn't want to be in a relationship anymore. he moved back in with them and we continued to date on and off for a year. it wasn't a bad relationship but it definitely wasn't good - it wasn't stable/reliable - one minute he's still talking marriage and the next we were taking a break. i decided i needed an intervention of sorts to break the pattern and moved across the country (not the only reason). he ended up driving me and my stuff to make sure i was safe. we stayed in touch a little while then lapsed on the communication. i'm happily married to someone else. he's about to get married.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 10:16 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Yes I have we have 3 kids
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 9:55 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I have never continued to "date" someone on and off again. But I was with a guy for 6 years and even after we were broken up (with no thought of getting back together), we would still have sex every time we saw each other. This went on for a few years after we split. Not really sure why, but there was something fun and comfortable about it. We didn't live near each other so we would only see each other a 1-4 times a year. I cut it off completely off all communication with him when I met my hubbie.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 10:01 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• 3xangel..i like your attitude
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 10:19 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Yup, my college boyfriend and I dated on and off. We ended up getting married five years after graduation and the marriage lasted for ten.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 11:38 AM on Aug. 16, 2010