do you open the door without asking who it is?

I live in a villa that has three different apartments. My apartment has a separate entrance. No one ever comes except for a girlfriend of mine and my husband. The door is very very secured and i have a second door that i bolt from the inside I also have very high walls that surround the apartment. But i never answer the door unless i know who it is. My husband says, who do you think is going to be at the door..the second door.. you need a key to bypass the first door. he is the only one with the key. when i ask him "who is it" he says.. you know it's me. my response is always the same. I want to make sure it's you. He shakes his head. but i feel so much more safer. plus my 3 yr old is always with me so i see it as a lesson for her. what do you do when people come knocking at your door?

Aasiyah

Asked by Aasiyah at 9:29 AM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I NEVER open the door without looking out the window to see who it is. And if I don't know who they are (we get solicitors here ALL the time!) I don't answer it.  Better safe than sorry:)

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 9:31 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I ask who it is or look through and see if I recognize them. If I don't know who it is I may open it but only by a crack and I guard it with my body. Note, I also have a big stick I keep at the door for if I ever need to beat someone's @$$, lol.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 9:31 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I am the same....I never open the door unless I know who it is and I expect people to call first,not just drop in for a visit. You can never be too careful nowdays.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 9:32 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I NEVER answer teh door without knowing who it is. If I look out the peep hole and don't know the person, I DON'T answer it. It's generally a solicitor I don't want to talk to anyway. It's like the phone, just because someone is on the ohter end, doesn't mean ya have to answer it. LOL.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 9:33 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Well, this may be rude but unless I know that someone is coming over I won't answer the door for strangers. I look out the peep hole and if I don't know them I ignore them. One time someone outside my door said "I know you're home I can hear you" so I said "And it's my house, my door and I don't have to open it". Just because someone knocks on your door doesn't mean you have to answer.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 9:33 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• hell no.. never open the door without saying who is it or look out the blind before saying anything thats what i teach my kids to never say who is it peep out the blind or window cause it may be some body u may not want them to know u at home.
    sexylady35

Answer by sexylady35 at 9:34 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• We have windows beside the door, plus a huge full length bay window in the dining room that you can see the front door through so I can see them - don't need to ask who it is.

Answer by missanc at 9:34 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I carefully look out a window where I can't be seen, one of the bedrooms is perfect for this. When we lived in our old apartment I used the viewer on the door but we don't have one here. If I don't see a car I recognize, one of our relatives or friends, or if I'm not expecting someone, I don't answer the door at all. The majority of the time I'm avoiding people trying to sell me something or talk to me about religion. I've seen too many stories on the news or those true crime shows to open a door to someone I don't know.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 9:35 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I think you are doing the right thing. I always look at my peep hole.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:36 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I can see who's at the door before I open it, but if you can't than I think it's good that you ask, for the safety of yourself and your dd
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 9:36 AM on Aug. 16, 2010